PDA

View Full Version : Brand of 8-Track Tape Player

77newell
06-07-2011, 02:44 AM
We recently attended a gathering of Tin Can Tourist vintage rv's and had a really great time showing off our vintage 77 Newell Coach. We have a series of 8-track tape storage slots in the cabinet above the passenger seat. We thought it would be cool to reinstall the 8-track tape player that must have existed when the coach was new. It would be awesome fun to open our coach to the public at some events and have an 8-track player blasting out disco music. Does anyone have any information that might indicate the brand that was used.

Jon and Alie
77 Harrison Show Coach
2007 Civic toad

HoosierDaddy
06-08-2011, 11:32 PM
If I remember correctly Craig and Panasonic were the big players then. That is a neat idea...a couple things to consider. You will need to find some 8 track tapes that are usable. They tended to wear quickly. The player itself will require some maintenance...the capstan and drive wheel tend to get "sticky" and wind the tape up inside the player. If you want the classic LOOK with modern internals look at this :
http://www.customautosound.com/

good luck!

prairieschooner
06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Our '82 had a MOTOROLA Stereo mounted in the lower portion of the center dash area. Sorry but it was junk and when I removed it I tossed it. I replaced it with a piece of black Plexiglas and it looks like it was always there.