PDA

View Full Version : add slides to older Newell series 2000 coaches?

ttikalsky
07-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Slides first appeared in 1997 Newell which is the 2000 series chassis. Is it possible to add slides to older series 2000 coaches?

Troy

tuga
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Troy,

I had a 1993 Newell 2000 which was a non slide coach. I contacted several RV shops that were installing slides on non slide coaches.

When I told them that I had a Newell they said they didn't want to try it. I found one shop in Arizona (can't remember the name now) and they had installed a slide for Auggie Augustine. Auggie was a good Newell customer for many years; he lived in Lake Charles, LA not far from my home town of Houma, LA.

I spoke to Auggie about the installation of the slide; he was very happy with it. The shop that did the installation swore they would never do another one.

The moral of the story is if you want a slide coach; sell your non slide Newell and buy one with slides. You will come out way ahead of the game. Believe me, Newell builds one of the best slide coaches in the industry. Take advantage of that and don't fool with cut and patch jobs.

Just my .02

encantotom
07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
a couple of years ago i went to an auction of an rv remodeling company that was totally out of business. i believe it was in tempe, but i dont remember for sure. in the office was a book of rv remodels they had done. in it was an older newell they had put a slide in. i would guess that had to be the one tuga is talking about.

i agree with tuga, having done extensive remodeling and updating in mine, and knowing just what labor could be involved let alone parts, i can't imagine the time and cost it would take to do it. of course, anything is possible as we all know.

i actually think one of the hardest things would be the final fit and finish. getting it one hundred percent flush and perfectly aligned everywhere...

later

tom

rheavn
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Troy,
Not sure if your question is a mental exercise or something you are considering. The question of whether it is possible has been answered as it has been done. If you are considering the alteration I think there are a few issues that one should address before finalizing a decision. The early 2000 chassis came with 24.5" tires. When Newell began installing slides(late '96) they found they were up against the weight rating of the 24.5" tires & changed to 22.5" wheels & tires. Not sure how many slides you are considering, but weight will be a consideration before you even start the project. There is also a question of weight balance-both side to side and front to rear. Many of the early multiple slide coaches put one slide on the left side and one on the right side. There is also a cost effective question. In considering this issue take into consideration not just the initial cost, but how much value are you adding to your coach, if any. On resale will a buyer want a Newell with add on slides(s)? Another consideration is who is going to service the new slides? A owner of a Newell with their first factory installed slide can still go back to the Newell factory and get the slide serviced.
Now for my opinion which you didn't ask for. I do understand some peoples quest for a challenge & to have something different. On the other hand when I go through the classified section of this site I find Newells with factory slide(s) below $180,000. I don't see where this project will be cost effective.