PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing?

folivier
08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I've never had the need to winterize my '93 yet. But next year we're planning to leave it somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
Looking at my plumbing I don't see anywhere to inject RV antifreeze. So I may have to install a 3-way valve. But, I'm a total newbie, so please tell me what is the proper way to winterize. I'm thinking to blow out the water with air (with all faucets open) then pump RV antifreeze until it flows out of each faucet. Or should I not blow out water and just pump antifreeze?
But, how do you get antifreeze through the hot water lines? Don't want to fill the water heater (plan to drain it).
Help:o

Richard and Rhonda
08-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Forrest,

I have always just blown mine out with air. Let it sit for an hour and do it again. I know that is NOT what aquahot recommends, but I have not had any issues. Your mileage may vary.

I do fill the traps on all the drains with the pink stuff, and use a little extra to put about a gallon in the black tank.

I also leave all the taps and drains open except for the black tank.

HoosierDaddy
08-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi Forest,
On my '78 I got a valve that allows you to by-pass the water heater. To winterize I would turn the valve , open the water heater drain valve and then circulate RV anti-freeze through the system. Check with Camping World if your 93 is not equipped. It should be near the inlet side of the water heater. There is also a one way valve that must be installed as well.