PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transfer Switch

Barry Rooker
09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
After burning up TWO Automatic Transfer Switches in succession under Newell warranty as I was within the 24 months warranty that comes with buying a quailfying coach from Newell, they suggested I ALWAYS turn off the A/C before changing from shoreline to genset or vice versa. Five years later, still no problems. Just a little procedure to remember.

The explanation was that so much power is drawn by the A/C systems (my 2001 coach has two basement air units) that changing power sources with the A/C running will pull so much power through the switch that there could be arcing that burns the contact surfaces.

RussWhite
09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Barry,

That is excellent advice and I might add there are a few other big loads I would be sure are off before I made the switch:
Dryer
Stove Top
AquaHot Electric

Take care,
Russ

rheavn
09-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Learned the hard way on my previous coach---roof airs too.

Richard and Rhonda
09-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Been there done that. I had the microwave on and fired the genny cause the campground voltage was low.

Burned out the coil in the transfer switch. The shore power would release, and the genny was trying to pull in the other side.

You know me, too cheap to replace the ATS, so I found an exact replacement coil for about 30 bucks.

So..... I kill everything now when transferring power sources. The first mate is trained to shut it down when I unplug and fire the genny.

leobess
11-18-2011, 04:36 PM
hi I'm having a problem with my transfere switch. I guess the problem is with me. I switched from shore power to Gen power while the generator was running. the switch seems to be locked in gen mode, and I cannot move the switch. I have a 84 newell.thanks in advance, leobess