PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara & Ventura

prairieschooner
10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
We just got back from a quick visit to Santa Barbara and Ventura. We stayed at El Capitan State Beach and it was great. It is Dry-Camping and the Park is a little small and hard to get around but well worth the stay. Ocean view and camp fires at night.
Next we went to a spot that Clarke and Elaine (chockwald) told us about, the Rincon Parkway in Ventura. This place is very special, you rent 50' of Highway for $27.00/night! the only thing between you and the ocean is some rocks and sand. We were only going to spend one night but could not resist another and next time it will be a week or two! This is Dry-Camping as well but there is a Faria State Beach if you want Hook-Ups. Anyway the views of the Chanel Islands are spectacular and the weather was perfect.
If you are in the area these places are recommended.

prairieschooner
10-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Clarke, hardly anyone here! we have 2 empty spaces in front and 1 behind us. Tide was very high and lulled us to sleep.

chockwald
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Steve, glad you are warming up a spot for us! We will be there next Monday thru Friday Woke up to light rain today, and still raining at the time of this writing. Didn't see this coming. Looking forward to sleeping to the sound of the surf.

prairieschooner
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Just got back from visiting the Mission San Buenaventura. It was a couple of bucks donation and very much worth it.
Still overcast but no rain here. They have been leaving all day and we almost feel lonely being here all alone with the sea.

express1
10-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Just got back from visiting the Mission San Buenaventura. It was a couple of bucks donation and very much worth it.
Still overcast but no rain here. They have been leaving all day and we almost feel lonely being here all alone with the sea.

Old Man and The Sea? No barking sea lions?lol!

chockwald
10-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Hey Matt...no seals, or sea lions.....but lots of surfers, and great views!

prairieschooner
10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Matt,
The only thiing barking around here is me. There were some pilot whales yesterday, they must be feeding on something because they were there most of the day.
Came back last night from visiting with family and we were all alone! everyone around us had left. Pretty cool it has been overcast the last few days but this am it is clear.
Got Lobsters yesterday so BBQ latter and maybe some howling.

express1
10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Sounds like my kinda spot...
we need a get-to-gether.

prairieschooner
11-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Matt,
When you come this way we are going to PARTY!!!
I want to howl at the moon with you and your lovely bride! I cannot wait to hear what Connie and Tricia calls us after a night on the town!

chockwald
11-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Arrived at Rincon Parkway (Ventura, CA) at 4:30pm today. Heavy marine layer, but I love it! BBQ'd a couple of fllets this evening, built a nice fire, and took a nice walk in the evening mist, and will take a nice bike ride up to Ojai tomorrow. There are, maybe, 10 RV's occupying 127 spaces right now. We are in 119....on the far south end of the parkway near Faria. Will be here through Friday. Sitting here writing to the sound of heavy surf about 100 feet way. Pictures tomorrow! Best time of year to come to Ventura.....don't have to compete with the locals for spots. Wish you were here Matt and Steve!

Nice to get the wheels rolling again after sitting mostly stationary since April....took a short 20 mile drive in August to refill propane tank, but that's been it since April. Drove 130 miles today to change the view outside our front door.

prairieschooner
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
It looks like we may get a little snow on Friday at least that is what is in the forecast, down to 5,000 foot and we are at 6,300. I am going to have to make a decision between the Newell of the Ford 8N

chockwald
11-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Started to rain as we were leaving around 9:30am this morning, and rained most of the way to Santa Paula (HWY 126). We got home around Noon (stopped at a fruit stand in Fillmore) and about 30 minutes into setting up our home "camp" it started raining again. Rained on and off until 4pm. Very, very cold today! Have had both electric heaters running since we got home.

Had a great week at Rincon Parkway (Ventura)......sat by the fire yesterday for about 3 hours watching sunset, and evening lights come to life. Yesterday we rode the Ventura River Trail up to Ojai from site #119....had lunch at Starbucks...they have these great Pannini sandwiches. Total round-trip mileage was 36...Elaine did great! At $27 bux a night with an ocean view, who can complain? Until this morning I would say almost 100 of the 127 sites were empty. By the time we left I could say it was up to 50% occupied.

Our favorite time of year to visit Rincon Parkway is November to February. The weather in Ventura is very moderate, even in the winter, and since it is the off season it is not crowded.

larryweikart
11-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Beautiful sunset pics. Seems like some sort of bottle got in the way of that one shot! We bought a pannini maker for the coach last year and haven't used the cooktop since. My wife makes a smashing pannini Here's another sunset from our front deck, notice the bottles are hidden in the dark!

prairieschooner
11-05-2011, 12:51 PM
It was cold up here as well, made me want to get back to the Rincon! We are considering another trip somewhere since the white stuff has come.
Snowed off and on most of the day. I just took the dog out and looked at allot of fresh snow probably 4-5" of the powder.
But alas I need to get out this morning and get to work, woes me Newport Beach and a boat ride.

chockwald
11-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Steve, to answer your voice mail question....the plywood platform has completely dried and no damage! Will be reinstalling new carpet on the platform this week! Toilet works wonderfully! Love going to Ventura during the week......no crowds. Probably 100 spots available until Friday.

prairieschooner
11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
For such an inexpensive Toilet I was surprised how well it looks and works. Doesn't the hand sprayer work well? I haven't gotten the mount attached yet but will get to that soon enough.
Sounds like the plywood is bare, you may consider sealing it as a precautionary measure though.

folivier
11-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Clarke, you may want to use this product to seal the wood. I used it to seal the entire bathroom floor when I redid it. Their claims seem really good. Basically the wood absorbs it and then the wood can't absorb any water to rot. Not cheap but could eliminate any further problems.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html