PDA

View Full Version : Battries revisited

busnut
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Decided to replace the engine batteries. Instead of 8Ds I am installing group 31. The 8Ds are 1400 CCA and the 31 is 950 CCA. The battery compartment will handle 3 group 31 where the 2 8Ds were. So out with 2800 CCA and in with 2850 CCA. Big difference is I can still handle the 31s. 8D have out grown me.

Has anyone else done this and what are the long term problems? My biggest concern is cold weather starting, but then I avoid that situation if at all possible.

BTW at Sams club 8Ds are now $180 x 2 for $360. Group 31s are now $100 x 3 for $300.

Richard and Rhonda
10-05-2011, 11:58 PM
You'll need two more cables, make sure you use the same gauge as you now have.
Other than that, I can't imagine it being a problem.

RussWhite
10-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Gary,

Sounds good to me too! I certainly will consider doing that also when it's time. Be sure to let us know how you handle getting/making the extra cables. Pictures would be nice!
Russ

encantotom
10-06-2011, 05:50 AM
when i changed to agm batteries, the best deal i got was on batteries with blades and not posts. so i had the interstate battery distributor make me some new cables to put on. it wasnt very expensive and they made them on the spot.

i have a hydraulic crimper, but it only goes to 0 gauge. i shopped for one that would do the larger sizes like on our batteries in the coaches, but they were just too expensive for just using a few times.

tom

prairieschooner
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Using a smaller battery wired in parallel shouldn't pose a problem and it appears that you chose the cranking amps properly, just one extra link. This is one of the reasons that I chose to use the Trojan T105 6 Volt Golf Cart style Batteries for my house. I am still using the 8D Flooded Lead Acid for the engine but mine are in the bays just forward of the rear wheels and on sliding trays so they are not hard to put in. I buy my Engine Batteries at a Battery Store and they are a simple starting type. They only last about 2 years but they were only about $120.00 each a couple of months ago.

I carry a large cable crimping tool but it is a tool that is left over from another profession. That crimping tool is about $275.00 and as Tom said not worth it for a time or two. There is another tool that you can use but it isn't cheap at about $90.00;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35229&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10611&classNum=10614

This other tool can be easily carried and just hit with a hammer to make the crimp. There are other types as well but I haven't used them. It may be just as easy to just visit a battery store and get them to use their tools.