PDA

View Full Version : where to fill my freshwater tank without checking into an RV Park?

prairieschooner
10-16-2011, 04:20 PM
We are getting ready to go back to Ventura and do some dry-camping in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering where to fill my freshwater tank without checking into an RV Park and then I figured that some of you would have good ideas.

Where do you get freshwater when on the road?

Thanks in advance.

Richard and Rhonda
10-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Some Interstate rest stops have a source.

I used a couple of spigots outside Arby's and Mickey D's. They use them to water wash the parking lot.

Ask the manager of course.

Bill & Sonja
10-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Flying J truck stops often have dump and water available. Charge is usually $10. or $5. if you have their RV card. They often have propane, dump, water, air and fuel all in a line for RV's.

larryweikart
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Drive into the truck fuel station at any Flying J or most any National Truck stop and there is a water spigot. Some have hoses attached but it is a good idea to attach your own. Most of theirs are too short to reach your fill. They don't charge anything for H2O.

prairieschooner
10-16-2011, 09:10 PM
All are great ideas so far. There are no Flying Js close by or on the way, here in California most of the rest stops are closed (or at least the ones in So Cal) so my best chance so far would be at a fast food joint.
Next time I am at a Flying J I am going to have to get a card!

chockwald
10-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Steve, we are planning to go to Ventura in two weeks, too....October 31st to be specific.....what day are you going up?

You could stop by Rancho Jurupa Regional Park and we could get you watered up and then head up to Ventura. Also, at the I-10 and Milliken exit (just west of I-15) is a truck stop (TA - "Travel Center of America) that you could also fill up with water at.

Bill & Sonja
10-16-2011, 11:29 PM
The Flying J / Pilot card can be obtained on line at their web page. It's worth having. 3 cent discount on fuel, 10 cents on propane and can save having to pay before pumping. Some other perks as well.

prairieschooner
10-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Clarke,
We will be in Ventura at the Rincon Parkway on 10/25 it is Tricia's Daughter's Birthday so we are planning a BBQ that evening. I would like to get there sooner but alas Tricia has other plans.
PS our Prairie Schooner is back together as of today and it feels good. Can't wait to get back on the road, if I could only quit working soon!!!

Randy J
08-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Great info! This is a must know for us in the near future when we head out beyond stopping at a family members or friends place. We'd like to do some dry camping so it's good to know where we can fill up our freshwater. The Flying J / Pilot cards anyone can get them? I thought it was only for truck drivers?