PDA

View Full Version : Replacing exhaust flex pipe?

folivier
11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
My turn. Just noticed that the flexpipe going to the muffler on my 8V92 is broken. I'll call this week to find a shop that can handle the 5" flex pipe.
On the inside door for the 12volt terminals + merge switches there is a placard cautioning to disconnect the Allison electronic control unit wiring harness before welding.
Are there any other components that can be damaged from welding?
Don't want to cause more problems while fixing one.
Thanx

chockwald
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Had the problem just after the Creede rally...discovered it when we stopped at Tom's cabin on the way home. I bought some flex pipe and fixed it myself....no welding.

folivier
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Just read Your post on this, my flex pipe goes down through a heat shield and makes a 90 degree bend forward to connect with the muffler. So it looks like mine will be a lot harder to do.
You used a clamp on both ends?
That may be easier than getting someone to weld it.
I see that Ryderfleet has galvanized and stainless, which did you use?
Thanks

chockwald
11-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Your description of your configuration sounds just like mine. Mine goes down through a heat shield, takes a 90 degree bend forward to connect with the muffler. I used the stainless steel clamps on both ends from Ryder. Is the diameter of the pipe on top and bottom pipe the same as the flex? I had a different diameter on the bottom pipe than the flex. Ryder has a clamp that mated the two different diameters perfectly. I'll take pictures in the morning and post, if I didn't already on my prior post....can't remember if I did.

prairieschooner
11-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Here is a link to your earlier post;
http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246&highlight=flex+pipe

Forest, This type of tubing would be very hard to weld and most likely with limited results. I would go with the stainless if possible, galvanized wouldn't last as long.

PS Looks like Clarke did a good job.

chockwald
11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Yep, the flex piping is galvanized, but I thought using stainless steel clamps would be wise, and also would make it easier to replace this section when it goes again in a few years. I've got 8 feet of it left...haha! Originally the upper part of the flex pipe was welded, but a crude clamp was used to connect the bottom. It is really solid now. Thanks, too, for the link to my post.

Here are two specific pictures of the clamps I used.

folivier
11-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Looked at mine today and the way it is made I'd have to drop the muffler in order to replace the flex pipe. The muffler and rest of flex pipe look in good condition so I ordered a stainless clamp (like yours) and will clamp it over the pipe where it's broken. I figure it's worth it to try that first.