PDA

View Full Version : kubota engine on generator dipstick

encantotom
12-26-2011, 07:46 PM
hi all,

i did a complete service on my genny. oil, both fuel filters, oil filter, thermostat.

my dipstick was curved at funny angles and was very hard to get in and out. i thought it was odd. i started the engine after changing the oil and i heard a loud rattling. the dipstick was bouncing around. it was in the wrong position and got all bent up. i had a challenging time getting it out.

now it looks like a pretzel. when i looked up the part number for the genny and looked in the shop manual, it shows this dipstick to be totally straight. which mine WAS NOT

i have the powertech 20k unit with a kubota v2003t engine. i will get a new dipstick, but was wondering if any of you that have that same engine can verify for me if the dipstick is straight or curved (after it goes in the block). the picture is after i was able to get it out...

thanks

tom

lbrachfe
12-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Straight with a slight curveture
:thumbsup:

prairieschooner
12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Tom,
The Kubota Diesel is a Tractor Engine that allot of boats have as a Universal Diesel. Most of the parts (for the ones that I am familiar with) are readily available from a Tractor Shoip.

express1
12-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Mine is a little shorter!!!

lbrachfe
12-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Mine is exact same length and the curve is very slight from top to bottom which may have become curved over time and handling, but its accurate. Just serviced mine at 1070 hours.

HoosierDaddy
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi Tom
I have had several Kubotas over the years. All of the dip-sticks have been straight. Yours probably got bent just enough for it to come in contact with a crank counterweight. I would straighten it out (then visually check for any stress cracks) , put the proper ampount of engine oil in and see where it shows on the stick. It will probably be just right.

encantotom
12-29-2011, 04:19 AM
hi dean,

my dipstick looks like a triple pretzel and is not straigtenable.

kubota gives one part number and powertech shows the same as the number on the dipstick itself.

i will order one.

tom

rheavn
12-29-2011, 11:52 AM
My Country Coach genset was a Powertech with the Kubota engine. Dip stick was straight. Always found parts through Powertech cheaper than through Kubota. It was cheaper for me to pay shipping than buy from our local Kubota tractor dealer.

encantotom
01-07-2012, 09:53 PM
i got the new dipstick today. it is totally straight.

and it works....

i ordered it straight from powertech. they were $21 with free shipping and no tax. the local kubota dealer was $13, but was gonna charge me shipping and tax so it was easier to order from powertech.

tom