PDA

View Full Version : dash air

encantotom
01-01-2012, 01:51 AM
howdy,

today checked the dash ac compressor freon and it was empty. my bus guy pressurized with nitrogen and we found a leak at the shaft seal of the compressor. so...need a new compressor. someone please tell me that the dash ac is worth it?.

the compressor is a TCCI ET210L 25150. fortunately the compressor is a standard big rig truck one and can be had for under $200. one of the cheaper things on the coach.

tom

RussWhite
01-01-2012, 03:17 AM
It's part of the coach that should work. You know you won't rest until EVERYTHING works like new. Speaking of new, Happy New Year!

tuga
01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Tom,

The new dash ACs work much better than the older ones. It is definitely worth repairing.

These dash ACs will freeze you out without using house ACs in 85 degree weather.

rheavn
01-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I use mine regularly and am very satisfied in some very hot & humid conditions. Now with that said I think Russ hit the nail on the head-----how would you be able to sleep knowing it didn't work?

encantotom
01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
ok, i get it. i will fix it.

off to church.

tom

chockwald
01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
ok, i get it. i will fix it.

off to church.

tom

:-) :-) :-) :-)

folivier
01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
OK guys, was their ever any doubt that Tom would fix it?
Happy New Year everybody.

rheavn
01-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Actually Forest there was no doubt Tom would fix it......I think every one was just shocked he'd ask.........................I'll bet it was Tom's way of just testing us in 2012!

afrench45
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Tom,
I we use ours all the time. Often we will only run that, and leave the genset off and we are plenty cool. In fact, got it blowing cold right now driving down 98 in sunny Florida.
Happy New Years everyone!

lbrachfe
01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Fix it Tom....Just replaced both speed control boards and the fan. Getting a wrrring sound on and off and at all speeds. Not a vibration sound. More like a whistle. Any ideas anyone?? Don't want to pull the dash again unless I have to. Hoping this is just a break in noise on the new fan assembly...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!!!

encantotom
01-02-2012, 01:35 AM
now that you said remove the dash? i would be interested in tips on how to do that.

to replace instrument bulbs do you go from the bottom, or remove the dash front that has the gauges on or is there some other way?

my color lcd monitor for the backup camera is lousy and i want to replace it but not sure how to get in there.....

thanks

tom

rheavn
01-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Tom,
The dash leather piece on top of the dash is removable. It is held in with some "christmas tree" style nylon retainers. Just feel about an inch from the front of the leather cover and you will feel some round plastic which is the base of the retainers. They are about 8"-10" apart. Start at one end, work your fingers underneath the front edge and gently pull up next to the retainers. Work from one side to the other. Set aside the cover and you now have access to the dash area from the top.

tuga
01-02-2012, 12:43 PM
now that you said remove the dash? i would be interested in tips on how to do that.

to replace instrument bulbs do you go from the bottom, or remove the dash front that has the gauges on or is there some other way?

my color lcd monitor for the backup camera is lousy and i want to replace it but not sure how to get in there.....

thanks

tom

Tom,

I have a friend on the POG site (Mango Mike) and he changed his backup camera from a color camera to a black and white. He likes it much better.

I have a black and white Sony and it works great. Only problem is the lexan cover over the camera lens gets fogged up during humid weather.

Brad Townsend
01-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I would love to have a good working dash AC unit. Tom maybe you could come to the mini rally here at Senator Wash just north of Yuma and tell me what is wrong with mine. While your are here maybe you could educate me on a few other things.

Brad

tuga
01-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Brad,

I had a 1987 Newell and a 1993 Newell and both had the "old" style dash AC units.

They don't work - ever! I spent several hundred dollars having both of them worked on and I never had any satisfactory resutlts.

If you want a good dash AC unit install one of the new ones. Chuck Clark in the parts department at Newell may be able to give you the model number and brand name of the unit Newell is using presently. One of the service techs at Newell can tell you if your 1988 Newell can be retrofitted with a new style dash AC. It will be money well spent.

There is a world of difference in the 2 units.

Good luck and best wishes.

encantotom
01-04-2012, 11:58 PM
i ordered the compressor and a new clutch today for $250 shipped. and picked up a dryer/receiver on the way home with a new high pressure switch for another $35.

hopefully it will work when put in....

tom

Brad Townsend
01-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Tuga.
Mike at Newell told me about the same thing a few years ago but also heard from others
that theirs worked fine. Mine is just cool air not cold at all. I think I will let it be for now, hope to be chasing nice weather for years to come.
Thanks.
Brad

butch
04-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Hello I have a 1996 45foot. coach could some one tell me what automotive, part is used for the dash air condition control unit. it looks like a mopar part. thank you. butch

rheavn
04-17-2016, 11:33 AM
I don't know, but if no one here does try www.newellgurus.com