PDA

View Full Version : Electrical panel lights

Brad Townsend
01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Above the driver for the 220 and 120 legs I have the 120 L2 light that is sometimes out sometimes flickers and sometimes flickers to coming on. Just wondering if this is typical for a bad light or something going on with that leg.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

rheavn
01-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Brad,
Don't know if it is good, bad or indifferent. Mine do the same thing. I use the analog voltage gauges that are above the lights and every thing is running fine. I don't see the flickering on the gauges like I do with the lights. I'm guessing "typical".

prairieschooner
01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Brad,
If these are LED type Panel Lights, this is typical when they get older, they may or not be going out. On Production Machinery, I have seen these Flicker for years.

encantotom
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
i have replaced them all in my 90 including the ones on the transfer switch box in the back.

they are NEON lights and do wear out.

if you want the exact same ones they are easy to replace. i bought mine at the local frys electronics and some from a supply house online. like 3-5 bucks apiece depending on the color. i changed the color on mine to what i liked. blue is more expensive for some reason.

i know i had some spares but i am not sure where they are so i could give you part numbers. btw, they are called neon pilot lights. the old ones had silver rims on them and the new ones i got had white. since i replaced them all it didnt matter. you can find exact replacements for size. they are probably 1.5" long or so and have a metal slide over clip on the back to hold them to the panel. just remember to have the 120v power off when you are playing around with those wires.

tom

encantotom
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IDEAL-Miniature-Indicator-Light-1XWN2?Pid=search

this is one of them. but you can buy them lots of places.

tom

lbrachfe
01-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I had Newell replace mine during my last visit for $7 each. They flicker when old.

encantotom
01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
they are very easy to change yourself. so as long as you have the power off and have a crimper and wire connectors you can do it in no time

tom

rheavn
01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
About 5 years ago I quit using crimp style connectors due to crimping failures. I now use the connectors from the link below. They only work with strand style wire. They are reusable. You can re access a wire without recutting. I have had no failures over the five year period.

http://www.posi-products.com/index.html

prairieschooner
01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I have found that the only Crimper I am satisfied with is the T&B or Thomas & Betts. I also prefer a Nylon Insulator instead of the standard PVC.

Brad Townsend
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks Guys, As usual this is the place for answers. I think I can rest that there is no major problems with anything else, thought that might be the case but just wanted feed back to support my hopes. It sure is nice to know where to go for help.

Brad