PDA

View Full Version : 82 newell leveling valves

encantotom
02-08-2012, 04:52 AM
hi all,

i spent some time looking for leaks on clarkes 82 tonite.

2 of the rear leveling valves are leaking at different places on the valve body fairly badly.

have any of you taken these valves apart and fixed any leaks? i dont want to tear into them if that makes them unusable.

they are very different than the ones on mine. they are MAC 225B-602B

Mac still makes a 225 series valve from what i could tell.

any advice would be welcomed.

thanks

tom

prairieschooner
02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Tom and Clarke,
I have purchased a replacement MAC valve for our '82. You will need to get them from the supplier in your area..HeiTek 800-926-2099.

Here is the link to the distributors;
http://macvalves.com/distributors/united-states/mac-valves-distributors/

The part number that I used was #225B-601BAA, it doesn't have the locking feature but was readily available and about $39.00 each. They do not offer repair kits and I am not so sure that I would bother.

encantotom
02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
hi steve, last nite i sent an email to that distributor asking them them about the locking feature. there are some 601's avail i have found fairly cheap. i also asked if there was a rebuild kit.

the 60 means 12v 9.5w, the 1 is non locking and 2 is locking.

the 225b is the series of the valve

the b has to do with the wire length of the leads

thanks steve, glad to know i am on the same track

tom

prairieschooner
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Tom,
Have you found the valves for less? I am wanting to get some more and less is better than more!

chockwald
02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
You two guys are the best! My '82 Newell is smiling from ear to ear.....and so am I, of course! It feels like I am attending a Newell tech school.

bluesky
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi Guys

My '83 must have a rear passenger valve leak, however, it only leaks when parked and not while in travel mode. Would that mean there are different leveling valves for park and ride?

chockwald
02-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Glenn you should have 6 in the rear, and 6 in the front, right? In the rear 2 are for ride height, 2 are for lowering while in leveling mode, and 2 are for raising in leveling mode, so you may have a leak in one, or more of those leveling solenoids. Unless it appears any of them have been replaced, they may be originals, which means they may be 29 years old. I am in the process of replacing all six of mine.

prairieschooner
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
A word of caution for anyone looking to buy the MAC Valves...You can only buy them from the Distributor in your area, that is why I gave the link. I can see a reason to use the Locking feature on the Ride Height Valves but I have had problems with them hanging up in the Locked Position.

Bluesky,
If the Passenger side goes Down after Leveling..it is most likely one of these Valves.
Be very careful to BLOCK THE COACH PRIOR TO GOING UNDER IT!!

bluesky
02-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks fellas for the valve info, and the tip re blocking the coach.

I do have a new MAC #225B-602CCAA 12 VDC 9.5W valve that I purchased here in BC Canada. Clarke, you gave an overview of the 6 rear valves and their purpose, so what are the front driver side valves intended to do?

prairieschooner
02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
same thing but those level the front. It has been a while but I think that they are like the rear as far as how they are manifolded

chockwald
02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Steve is right, the front six handle the front suspension.....two for lowering, two for raising, and two for travel mode. The are the exact same valves as in the back. Mine are located on the drivers side in the storage compartment just behind the left front tire. Much more protected from the elements, which is why I have had no trouble with them......yet....knocking on wood a lot...lol!