PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Newell

pdparson
02-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi All;

We are in the process of buying a 1995 Newell with 138,000 miles with a 4D Deck motor with 33, 000 miles.

I called Newell and gave then the Vin and they said they were VERY familiar with the coachs former owners as they were avid Newell owners and had a mechanical repair center for Newell.

So I am soooooo excited:thumbsup:. I would love to get an extended warranty and am having absolutely no luck, anyone have any ideas??

The Coach has always been kept indoors, the tires are 2007 and 2010, have absolutely no checks or cracks and look brand new...are they safe?

Are there Newell groups anyone knows of?? We are in the Midwest.

Thanks we are very new to this as we had a Monaco Diplomat and now are going to a Newell with no slides...

With no slides, do you find it is enough room not to kill your spouse?? lol..;)

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Pat

pdparson
02-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh, one more thing, we are wanting side cameras or collison avoidance, where can we get these done?? When I call a MH agency they moan and groan and say, we are not sure we can do this, those things are wiring nightmares. Bring it in when you get it and we will look at it.Acccccccck!!
thanks again

Pat

rheavn
02-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Pat,
Welcome to the Newell family & the forum. You will find this a fantastic source of information and help. There is not many things that some one here hasn't done.

Not sure where you are in the midwest, but I have found the factory service department to be outstanding. They do every thing from preventative maintenance to a total update. Every thing I have had them do has been done in "Newell quality". Newell's service rate is less than a bus service center I have used here in Branson. When you take your coach to the factory you will deal with techs who know how your coach is wired and won't be experimenting on your dime. As to Newells being wiring nightmares--hogwash. This is my 5th different brand coach and working on my Newell has been the easiest.

I have owned coaches without slides and my same wife is still alive! We didn't go to slides because we were irritated from not having enough room, we just liked the idea of having a little more room. Slides are just a personal choice.

Newell advises changing the front tires every three years and the rears every five years. Looking at the outside of a tire is not a great way to evaluate a tire on an rv. You have no way to know if these great looking tires were ran with low air pressure, have interior rot, or how they were treated. Having suffered tire failures over 30+ years of rving I no longer take chances.

Putting side cameras on a Newell has been discussed. Might try a topic search if you are going to install them your self, otherwise call Newell.

Never had an extended warranty on any of my coaches, but I'm sure some one may know a source.

I'm sure you will be as thrilled with your new Newell, as we still are after two years. We can't wait to get back out in our Newell as we are currently in storage.

pdparson
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Steve;

Thank you so much!! I am thrilled to hear you still have the same wife, lol!! As I am the wife..

THanks for the info on the tires, is there a way to actually check this?? We are picking it up in Quartzsite and live in Missouri...anyone know of a good place to get them checked or replaced in that area??

Once we get the coach I am sure we will have a ton of questions!!! Where exactly is the factory for service and repairs??

Best and thanks

Pat

encantotom
02-09-2012, 11:22 PM
welcome to the gang!

as for the extended warranty, with a 1995 the extended warranty is either you, your wallet or both. most of us do alot of the things ourselves as it can be pretty pricey to hire it all out.

in my 1990 i put the jensen color rear camera and color side cameras with the hd split lcd monitor. talk to tim at rvcams.com. very good prices and great products and support.

as for newell groups, this is the one and only.....

encantotom
02-09-2012, 11:27 PM
having said that we all help each other a ton. clarkes coach is out front right now as they are hanging with us for a while. i will help him rebuild his leveling valves, put in a fridge etc. we also call each other and help with problems.

dont be afraid to ask questions.

encantotom
02-09-2012, 11:31 PM
this sounds like the 95 that was white and green outside that was for sale in apache junction az. i went and looked that one for fun.

nice coach.

Richard and Rhonda
02-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Welcome,

Since we have a 95, I think we will become fast friends. Slides, sold slide coach and bought no slide Newell, never missed the space. The no slide coaches are laid out differently so we didn't really miss the space, even when traveling with two teenagers.

As far as extended warranty, I would guess you won't find one on a 95 Newell. You are in the right place for stuff you want to tackle, and if within distance of Miami take it to the factory for the big stuff. My warranty is by Richard, and it costs about 3000 a year.

Tell us about yourself. It will help to understand your background, your mechanical and electrical hands on skill level, and what things you DIY on your Monaco, and what things you paid others to handle. There is no judgement in the questions. The members on this forum span the range of DIY desires.

I can assure you that this forum will help. Use the search engine to look for topics that might have been covered before.

If you get in a jam 817 tututhree 2056 ; email richard.entrekinATalconlabs.com

Please don't call after 10 pm EST, I am an early to bed guy.

The learning curve is steep but not hard.

I'll warn you in advance, although Newells are among the most well engineered and constructed coaches it is typical in buying a new to you coach to have to invest some time and money to bring it up to snuff. The previous owners only put enough in it recently to get it sold. Point being, don't get discouraged or think you bought a lemon because you have to fix some stuff.

rheavn
02-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Pat,
As you can already tell there are some great people on this site who will go out of their way to help you. The Newell factory is located in Miami, Oklahoma on North Highway 69 1-888-3Newell. Let them know that you now own the coach & they will sign you up for the Newell motorcoach club which has events throughout the year. You'll also get a newsletter occasionally that will update you on Newell news. Miami is in the n/e corner of the state. I too live in Missouri. I'm in the Branson area. Are you any where close? If so I can point you toward some tire folks.

HoosierDaddy
02-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Welcome Pat!
Rear and side cameras are not difficult to install. You should not need to get involved with the factory wiring at all. Good luck with your Newell!

pdparson
02-10-2012, 09:13 PM
thank You everyone, we are picking the coach up in a week or two, we are In Memphis Missouri on the Iowa Border...We are both older in our late 60s and are realtors.

We are very excited and cannot wait to get it. Unfortunately, this is absolutely the busiest time of the year for us and my poor husband is going crazy trying to keep up with all the farm sales.

THe Newell is in Quartzsite and we are most likely going to fly out and pick it up.

By the way our number is 392....

My husband has worked on cars for years and stopped when things got computerized and he got so busy, so I would say, we will have to pay to have things done on it.

Cannot wait to get my hands on it!! Will keep everyone posted...

thanks again for all the kind words and help!!

Best

Pat
1995 42' Newell #392

Richard and Rhonda
02-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Pat,

We have 390. If he worked on cars before computers then he will be fine. The only computers on the rig are the controller for the engine and tranny. They are practically bullet proof. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Manuals for all the systems are typically online.

The original post had a question about tires. First of all, their is no definite answer. I would look carefully at the tires. Tiny cracks in the sidewalls are somewhat expected. If they catch your fingernail, then I would go to a reputable tire shop and get their opinion before undertaking a long trip. Tires that are driven frequently hold up better than ones that just sit, but who knows until you see the coach.

Do your self a favor and search the forum for front tire threads. The Newells of our vintage run pretty close to the load rating of the tire and it's important that the front is fitted with the proper load range tire. There is also a metric upgrade for our fronts that provides a little more weight carrying margin. It's not a worry matter, just something that you need to spend some time understanding.

Neweller
02-11-2012, 01:00 AM
:welcome: Pat to the Newell talk forum!

We are also in the Midwest only a few hours away from you. Practically neighbors! Look forward to meeting you folks. I reiterate what others have said here. You are now part of our Newell family and have found a wealth of information here at your finger tips.

Don't be afraid to holler at me if you need anything!

prairieschooner
02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
I second stopping by Tom's Coach Works in Mesa, AZ!! He would at the very least be able to help identify issues and most likely help to come up with the solution to a problem.

pdparson
02-11-2012, 07:28 PM
You guys are so awesome, Thanks for all the information. We are not sure we are picking the coach up, they have to pick up another one near here and may deliver it.

Tom, do you have a business there?? My Brother also named Tom lived in Mesa and then Chandler, he worked for the special olympics there as program director..

Will post more as we know what is going on....
thanks again

Pat

encantotom
02-12-2012, 01:20 AM
hi,

i have a day job like most people working for a large company. (i am not a professional mechanic). i use a great bus shop that can do engine servicing and and just about anything bus wise.

chockwald
02-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Pat, hope your purchase goes well! I've had my coach for 4 years, and I have learned a lot!

pdparson
02-12-2012, 04:58 AM
We are excited and hoping to do exactly that!! Will holler as soon as we have things in motion!!

Thanks so very much!!

Pat

pdparson
02-12-2012, 07:11 AM
As a sorta kinda typical female, I want a dishwasher, the large drawer type, since we have large dogs, I want a central vac system..

I would like top rope lights and I would like to replace the new carpet with tile or wood or a high grade laminate or tile...

the Male man boss, wants outside window and tire covers, we have them from our Monaco and Know that they most like will not fit at all..we want a bay freezer and camping worlds prices are ridiculous..any ideas on th

Or shoot, side cameras, front rear...we are older and need all the safety we can get..I would say the side, front and rear cameras are a must..and first on the agenda..

I emailed Tim and frankly I do not have the info he needs to help me out..we would like to combine a nav system with it..it this possible??

Also we are bringing a Direct tv box that is active..they said the satellite was in working order, supposed all system are in excellent working order......

Can any of you think of anything I have forgotten to put on our list?? I may tow the boat down, so the guys can fish and then store it and have some clients who have a truck company bring it back on a light load...

thanks so much any ideas appreciated!!

We are genuinely hoping to to fish lake Alamo a week and then head your way...not sure if that will happen as our time is in our clients hands...

also, is there a class for wives to learn to drive this coach anywhere, my husband and are are deeply in love and have boundaries and respect those, one is driving, we agree to disagree..

I want to learn to drive the Newell well and over come my fear of its size, the Monaco diplomat we had was an issue. I want him to know That I can take over some of the driving...or in an emegency can handle the job comfortably!!

Anything you can think of for a maiden voyage, let me know!!!!! You people are absolutely the best!!!!

pdparson
02-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Any one have any experience with THousand trails?? We have a very old member ship that we bought for a song on resale in 05. It is a Platnium something membership and I will check that out on Monday when I call.. I went to the board and saw no one I knew from back in the day and lots of changes..
Best
you are the best
Pat

Richard and Rhonda
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Lots of stuff in your post.

Driving lessons, there are some folks out there who give lessons but I say first of all find an empty big box store on Sunday morning and practice the low speed stuff. You are going find that the mid 90's vintage will not turn quite as sharply as your Monaco. The time to find that out is before getting into a squeeze. Then, I can assure you that there are MILES of flat interstate between you and Quartzite to learn how to drive it. The three key items for new drivers for me are 1) put your right foot in the center of the dark stripe, the oil stripe, that runs the center of the lane 2) Use the rear views to fine tune your centering in the lane 3) if possible use the cruise control until you get the hang of working the throttle to get over the hill and down the other side without significant change in speed

Your coach probably has a Motosat antenna. Depending on the last time it was used with Direct TV, it may or may not have been taught the New DirectTv satellite locations. Easy to do with a laptop and a connection cable. If the dish just hunts and hunts and never locks on, that is probably the problem. The original Motosat antenna will not pick up HD channels. So if you are a big TV watcher, plan on an upgrade.

Camping World is an expensive place to buy anything. Use google for the 12V freezer. Lots of good stuff out there.

chockwald
02-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Pat I have noticed when reading agendas for various rallies such as FMCA, or Good Sam that often one of the seminars available is a class for wives to learn how to drive the big coaches. If you belong to FMCA, or Good Sam you might go to their websites and find referrals, or ads from the people who offer these services.

I know a number of newer Newells have dishwashers, cameras, etc.

On Thousand Trails, I think you have good a pretty good membership if it is Platinum. As long as you have been keeping the maintenance fees up to date you should be good to go with them. Very inexpensive to stay at their parks if you are a member.

prairieschooner
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
We just joined last year by getting one of their "Zone Passes" to start with. We have only been to the Thousand Trails park near us so far but did enjoy it. That park, Wilderness Lakes, isn't always available and I have been told that in the summer it isn't all that desirable because it is next to a Dairy Farm!!
A word of caution most parks would only have 120 Volts, 30 Amp Service. We have been able to live comfortable with 30 Amps but it did take some getting used to.

We are also members of Colorado River Adventures. Like TT not all of the parks are
desirable to us but we do enjoy a few of them. These membership parks do help with the costs but CRA only has 30 Amp service as well.

prairieschooner
02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I forgot to add that we sometimes need to use the portable antenna on a tripod. Because of trees and the like I have about 50' of Cable.
We have an older TracVision but also need to enter the new zip code if we have gone a couple hundred or more miles and this even worked in Mexico.

encantotom
02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
pat,

the i want list can be long and expensive, but nothing is impossible.

as for combined nav and camera monitor, it is much more difficult to do than just either. i am playing with doing some of that now but have not got it figured out the way i like yet. or i may just not do it that way. if you are not a real AV geek, you might not get what you like. i am looking at getting a raw lcd panel and tearing into it to get the triggers the way i need. not sure everyone can do that.

the 7" monitor used for high end rearview and side cameras for me is not big enough for the nav system and i am used to running my laptop for nav.

as for a drawer dishwasher, hang onto your wallet because that is going to be quite expensive and be a ton of work to put in. the cabinets will need to be reworked. and the dishwashers themselves are pricey. our new 2002 doesnt have a dishwasher and it is going to stay that way.

if you guys are able to stop here on your way home i can go over things and ideas with you. i travel a bit for work and will be in asia from the 21st of this month till the 2nd. and then in israel the week of the 11th in march.

i would also suggest that you spend some time with your coach before you start changing much. as you might change your mind. as for built in vacuums, my 2002 has one but is not as strong as a good small portable one. and the hose takes up as much space as the portable one does.

i can show you what i did on my 90 and what i have done and am doing or going to do on my 2002. you might get some ideas or give me some ideas.

like richard said, you just need experience and room in driving these babies at first.

i suspect you will find some or a number of things that need fixing or updating so be prepared for that. i would make sure that mechanically and system wise that everything is working the way you like first. then make a list of things to research and figure out the priority and importance of the things you like.

for instance, our 2002 was a hospitality coach and doesnt have a washer dryer. we would have liked to have one, but it is not a priorty so we will not add one.

Richard and Rhonda
02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
You didn't ask this question, but the answer came whilst I was working in the garage. Besides the normal maintenance stuff, what is the one thing you would do that is unique to the Newell.

Based on my experience, and similar experiences of others with similar vintage Newells. Find the control boxs for the AC units. They are little silver boxes very close to the fan unit for each AC zone. Check the wire nuts in each of those boxes where 110 power is supplied. For some reason they work loose, which causes a bad connection. That leads to heat, or high current which either frys a relay on the control board, or worse the compressor. It's a two hour treasure hunt that will show you the innards of your new coach.

Newell was very crafty in hiding these little boxes. Call me when you start on this project.

prairieschooner
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Yep wire nuts are BAD! I have seen them wrapped with electrical tape but there is a better way, some have a set screw affair.

I would agree that you should use the coach for a while prior to changing things but a Clothes Washer and dryer is important!! it does extend the stay. I think that an ice maker is important as well, best place to keep your Ice Cream.

GORDON HUMMEL
02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
I will second the vote to check the wire connections in the internal AC control boxes that Richard mentioned. My problem was at the connection(s) outside at the compressor and condensor fan wiring. The loose wire nuts cost me a fan motor, capacitor & finally a compressor.

folivier
02-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Steve, I disconnected the water supply to my icemaker and plan to use it for ice cream. Fill it up with rum raisin!

chockwald
02-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Forest....my favorite ice cream by far is Rum Raisin.....Elaine actually soaks additional raisins in rum for about a week, and then adds some to every serving....that is when she lets me have ice cream.....lol!

Steve, I disconnected the water supply to my icemaker and plan to use it for ice cream. Fill it up with rum raisin!

folivier
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM
My mom used to soak raisins in rum when she made bread pudding. I'll have to try that for my i scream.

larryweikart
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Well, Pat, as you can tell by these comments, with this forum, you will never be alone with any concerns about your Newell. Just a couple of additional comments as you proceed along the way. First, don't be overly concerned about driving. As long as you can keep the front 5 feet between the white lines, the other 40 will follow nicely. The FMCA rallies do have a good driving school. I would also recommend that you build a relationship with the Newell Service people. They are invaluable when it comes to information relative to your coach. The 24hr trouble line never fails to get someone to give advice. Good Luck and Good Travels.

folivier
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks Larry for bringing me back on topic:blushing:
Pat, another suggestion is to look at the Escapees club http://www.escapees.com/bootcamp/escapade.asp , they have training sessions they offer and one in Sept. in Sedalia, Mo.
Good luck with your new coach and please ask when you have any questions or problems. Someone here has probably had and resolved just about any problem you may run into.

express1
02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Yep wire nuts are BAD! I have seen them wrapped with electrical tape but there is a better way, some have a set screw affair.

I would agree that you should use the coach for a while prior to changing things but a Clothes Washer and dryer is important!! it does extend the stay. I think that an ice maker is important as well, best place to keep your Ice Cream.

Ice maker for ice cream???????? Ice maker for JACK!!!!! and other cocktails.....:o
Don't think we could surrender the washer/dryer...
Just spent 3 weeks in

express1
02-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Ice maker for ice cream???????? Ice maker for JACK!!!!! and other cocktails.....:o
Don't think we could surrender the washer/dryer...
Just spent 3 weeks on a trip with my brother Cannon....His coach has the Splendid junk........He said is works good enough for one person....They take forever to wash and dry..... Gotta have stacked Kenmore. 220

prairieschooner
02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
The Kenmore stackers work well on our '82 but I have no experience with the others.
Wire Nuts are fine on a House but with any vibration they fail and have a standard that eliminates them from use in boats.

Hey Matt, don't knock it until you try it! Since I was told about the Icemaker trick for ice cream we only store it that way. Thankfully we have a Rediline to keep the Icemaker working while traveling, I bet the PO used it to store his Jack. Cocktails at 5!

My Grandmother soaked her raisins in Vodka and claimed that it helped her Arthritis.

Richard and Rhonda
02-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Steve,

What is used on boats in lieu of wire nuts?

prairieschooner
02-14-2012, 03:16 AM
This really belongs under electrical but these are ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) Recommended Standards. Check E-11.6.3.6. These are some of the Electrical Wiring Standards (if you want more I can check and post those).

E-11.16.3.5
Connections may be made using a setscrew pressure type conductor connector, providing a means is used to prevent the set-screw from bearing directly on the conductor strands.

E-11.16.3.6
Twist on connectors, i.e., wire nuts, shall not be used.

E-11.16.3.7
Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.
EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times the diameter of the conductor.
NOTE: When a stranded conductor is soldered, the soldered portion of the conductor becomes a solid strand conductor, and flexing can cause the conductor to break at the end of the solder joint unless adequate additional support is provided.

E-11.16.3.8
Solderless crimp on connectors shall be attached with the type of crimping tools designed for the connector used, and that will produce a connection meeting the requirements of E-11.16.3.3.

But basically a Crimp-On type terminal.

pdparson
02-17-2012, 07:47 AM
We are leaving Missouri on the 22 and heading to az to pick up the Newell, we are towing our boat to fish Lake Alamo for a week and then head home to Missouri..wish us luck!! We pray this was a good deal!! We are so excited.. You guys are the absolute best and have been so helpful, if I have no answered each of you it is due to internet problems we are having living very rural...thank you one and all
Best
Pat

NewellCrazy
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Welcome and congrats on your Newell purchase. We look forward to meeting you someday.

Richard and Rhonda
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Several of us have provided phone numbers in one fashion or another. Make you have them in your cell. Also make sure you have the Newell phone number.

You probably won't need any assistance, but just in case.

Good luck on your journey.

pdparson
02-21-2012, 04:49 AM
I sent you mine, I cannot wait to meet you both, hopefully without any problems, lolol!! Did you reconize the coach ?? Thanks so much!
Best
Pat