PDA

View Full Version : stereo speaker at passenger left knee

encantotom
02-19-2012, 03:33 AM
hi all,

i have an ADS speaker with a separate tweeter like the ones overhead only it is mounted in the dash panel at the passengers left knee.

neither the speaker or tweeter is coming on. i took it out and there is one of the ADS crossover boxes there on the floor behind the dsah under the speaker but the incoming line to the crossover i am not able to trace.

does anyone else have this 5th speaker and if so when is it on?

thanks

tom

afrench45
02-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Tom, my coach has one too and I have never been able to figure it out!

RussWhite
02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Tom,

I too have ADS, separarte tweeters and a center speaker pair. In my case it is the center channel on the surround sound. The input to my speakers ( and for now until I check more ) I assume for the center one too is swithced with relays behind the trim panel at ceiling level on the driver's side. The relays have 115vac coils and are energized when the receiver is on. In that situation, the speakers are switched to the receiver. When the receiver is off, the relays de-energize and switch the speakers to the dash stero system. It may well be that in the dash mode the center speaker is not powered, but a sleeping daughter keeps me from checking that right now :-)
Russ

encantotom
02-19-2012, 02:20 PM
that makes sense. not sure i would have caught that until i got into the home theatre.

thanks russ!

tom

Richard and Rhonda
02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Tom,

Like others, I found the amp and relays to use the speakers with a home system, hidden behind a panel. My hidey hole was on the passenger side inside the stereo equipment cubby.