PDA

View Full Version : Extra wire connected to converter in '82

Capnted
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I had to replace my converter for the second time. Unfortunately, it was out so long swapping the defective unit for a new one that I have forgotten how it was hooked up.

There are 2 heavy battery-terminal size cables coming into the compartment where the converter is. I hooked up one and have 12 volts to both battery banks and to the coach. What would the second cable be for? I didn't hook it up because when I touched it to the same post the first one was on, I got a pretty good spark--just enough to make me unsure of what I was doing. It wasn't yet connected to the converter, but there may have been a charge on the batteries. i think both should be hooked together to the inverter, but I don't know what it's for. It has no voltage on it. The cable disappears into the forward wall of the compartment.

Reminder to self: It's really easy to take a picture before dis-assembling!

Thanks

jwe648
03-15-2012, 07:15 PM
I had to replace my converter for the second time. Unfortunately, it was out so long swapping the defective unit for a new one that I have forgotten how it was hooked up.

There are 2 heavy battery-terminal size cables coming into the compartment where the converter is. I hooked up one and have 12 volts to both battery banks and to the coach. What would the second cable be for? I didn't hook it up because when I touched it to the same post the first one was on, I got a pretty good spark--just enough to make me unsure of what I was doing. It wasn't yet connected to the converter, but there may have been a charge on the batteries. i think both should be hooked together to the inverter, but I don't know what it's for. It has no voltage on it. The cable disappears into the forward wall of the compartment.

Reminder to self: It's really easy to take a picture before dis-assembling!

Thanks

You might check to see if it was a ground connected to one of the mounting bolts..

chockwald
03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
"You might check to see if it was a ground connected to one of the mounting bolts..".....My thought exactly.

Clarke

Capnted
03-16-2012, 09:22 PM
"You might check to see if it was a ground connected to one of the mounting bolts..".....My thought exactly.

Clarke

No--there's an obvious ground. It disappears through a hole with other wires in the forward wall of the compartment.