PDA

View Full Version : Please Help With Our Trip Planning

RussWhite
04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
If things work out, this summer ( 2012 ) my daughter and I will tour the west in the Newell towing a Jeep Liberty. My coach is a forty five footer so our number one concern is planning places to visit and stay that can accomodate us with a little extra room so we don't have to get it just perfect to get in:)

I think there are many forum members from the west and I am sure hoping you all will chime in with your recommendations of things to see and places to stay. I am looking for tips and suggestions and will do all the research for the details. What are your favorite parks that accomodate our sized rigs easily? Are there some special roads with good scenery, yet wide and safe? Oh, and what roads would you suggest avoiding - that can be very important too. We really got beat up on the way back from Phoenix when we were on I40.

We are farily tolerant of warm weather, but how would you do the loop? We are leaving from Tennessee near the end of May for about three months, should we go out staying south and return through the north?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks,
Russ

rheavn
04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Russ,
I hope you & your daughter are planning to pass through the Branson, Missouri area. There is a very nice Outdoor Resorts, but why not just come to the Bare farm as we have full hook ups and its free!

tuga
04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Russ,

We love the Western US. The Rockies are second to none!

Coming from Tennessee I would recommend I-70 thru Kansas and then into the Denver area. I don't know what you two like but Breckenridge (Tiger Run RV Resort) is nice if you can handle the altitude (9800' ASL). From Breck you can go to Creede or Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek Run RV Resort) or Durango (Alpen Rose RV park). From the Durango area you can visit Silverton/Ouray. Matt Russo and Ron Skeen crossed the continental divide by 4 wheeler (you can rent one). They left from Ouray and rode trails over the CD down to Telluride. Matt said it was a beautiful ride.

Utah is gorgeous - I was really surprised when we drove thru the state. Bryce Canyon NP, Archers NP, Zoin NP, and Lake Powell are some of the coolest parts of the state. If you are into geneology, go to Salt Lake City and browse thru the Morman ancestory records. If you head north you can visit Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP (Grizzley RV Park).

I don't know how much time you plan to travel, but this itinerary should take about 3 weeks. Glacier NP in Montana is the most beautiful NP I have ever seen. The Going to the Sun road is at the top of the list. Awesome!

Hope this helps some.

MarkofSJC
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Tuga beat me to it ~ Utah area (especially around St. George) should NOT be missed. Plus Las Vegas is less than 2 hours from there, for a polar opposite experience (with a uber nice RV resort in Las Vegas to boot.).

Another area that's really beautify is the Central CA coast...spectacular, easy driving and very scenic. Zillions of wineries in the Paseo Robles area as well.

Mark

tuga
04-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Good point Mark, California coast is beautiful. We have yet to drive thru Oregon and Washington state; can't wait for that trip. It will have to be next summer ~ we are busy with weddings this summer. Bummer!

Why does there have to be 87 parties BEFORE the wedding?

RussWhite
04-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks Everyone!

Mark - Utah has been highly recommended and is already way up on our list.

What park in Vegas do you suggest?

Frankly, we are a bit nervous about California. The possibility of heavy traffic combined with what I assumed would be narrow coastal roads has us very worried. I would like considerable real estate between me and a sheer cliff!
Keep the ideas coming.

Russ

tuga
04-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Russ,

When I drove thru California I found that as long as I drove "with the traffic" which on I-10 was about 60-65 I could put on my blinker and the traffic would let me change lanes. It really was no big deal. We drove across the Golden Gate bridge in the coach pulling toad with no problems (it was at 9 AM Saturday morning) but still it wasn't bad.

I know I'll get ragged for this but the people in California KNOW HOW TO DRIVE! When you put that blinker on to change lanes they will let you thru ~ but don't waste any time ~ move over quickly.

I agree with you I would stay off of the 101 Pacific Coast Hiway ~ save that one for the tow car. And whatever you do stay OFF OF THE 405! That is a moving parking lot!

We stayed at Malibu RV park and drove all over Los Angeles in the tow car; it wasn't bad.

How long are you going to stay out West?

encantotom
04-10-2012, 01:28 AM
we drove the 90 from vancouver to san francisco on the 1. by then i had enough and went inland. then we caught it back south of san simeon. (we drove it north of san simeon on our older executive and that was a trip my family will never forget. miles of cars honking at us and my whole young family car sick) i am not sure you could even make it with our big rigs pulling a car.

tom

RussWhite
04-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Tom - you crack me up! I want my trip to be unforgettable, but NOT in that way :)

Tuga - we plan a three month adventure and know they will fly by.

Russ

prestadude
04-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I suggest hitting Williams, Arizona (on Highway 40). Stay at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. The park is new but the sites are not big enough for your rig plus the Jeep. You will have to disconnect your Jeep at checkin and then park it in a parking stall right in the RV Park. I camped there with my 45 footer and was able to get it into the space without a hassle, and I am not that experienced in driving these big things around. There are two really neat things about this spot. Williams itself is on old Highway 66 and the downtown area, although small, is packed with good restaurants and stores, many with a Highway 66 theme. I was there in early October and the place was really hopping in terms of night life. The second very neat thing is the Grand Canyon Railway. There are daily trains to and from the Grand Canyon. The train depot is just a short stroll from the RV Park. Williams is at an elevation of 6,800 feet so it is considerably cooler than the lower elevations of Arizona.

RussWhite
04-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Tim and Laura,

Thanks - that sounds fun and doable for us. The campground made the Big Rigs Best Bets book so we will unhook as you suggest and setup there to see the Grand Canyon via the train. These suggestions are ever so helpful and much appreciated.
Russ

Brad Townsend
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
You might want to check out Harvest Host
http://www.harvesthosts.com/ Free camping with lots of room in the country settings of Vineyards etc.
We will be hosting in the Ashley National Forest at Flaming Gorge Utah this year if you would like to stop by.

Brad

prairieschooner
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
A bit of advice, try to travel outside of commuter times. I live here and it can be harrowing just driving a car let alone a big rig. The same person that will cut you off in rush hour wold be courteous when they are not worried about being late for work. I use this thought religiously but still have to be alert.
I echo that PCH (Route 1) would not be a good choice, just ask Matt!.

folivier
04-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Got to Cottonwood, Az yesterday for 3 weeks. Spent 3 weeks in Utah, Moab, Goblin Valley, over to Panguitch, the down to Lake Powell. Utah is beautiful! Lake Powell is really nice also.

Bikestuff
04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Forest,

I hope you had fun in Moab. Those rock formations are out of this world. Did you stay in a campground? I will be headed there in the fall and this will be the first time with the coach.

Cheers,
bill

RussWhite
04-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Forest,

Good to hear from you. Any good campgrounds that you would like to recommend?

Thanks, Russ

folivier
04-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Spanish Trail Campground in Moab is nice, they gave us the Passport America 50% discount for 2 weeks. Wahweap campground at Lake Powell is really nice. Enjoy your trip, we will fly home in late May and leave the coach in Cottonwood. Going to Europe in August, might fly out in the fall for a month or 2, then in spring 2013 head over to south California and travel up towards Washington.
Bill, I did sunrise and sunset guide with Jon Fuller. Really nice guy and gave me some nice tips.

prairieschooner
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
We stayed at the Arch View Resort on our back from Crede, CO. We got a site with unrestricted views of the arches, when I woke up I saw the sun rise through one! Besdie from that it wasn't much of a resort but I would stay there again.
I don't know the names of them but there are places along the river that looked amazing. Not sure how many would be Dry-Camping but next time through I will have to try that.

MarkofSJC
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Just a note in defense of CA -- we do have a lot of people (and seemingly even MORE vehicles), but as far a traffic it's really no big deal** It's not unusual to have a freeway with 5 ~ 6 lanes going in the same direction. If you're not pulling anything, we also have an excellent car pool lane that with just a driver and a passenger you're entitled to use ~ and they're really excellent (but big ticket if you're pulling something!).

** That's assuming you're not trying to drive somewhere with traffic at peak rush hour! Hey, you're on vacation anyway...why join the rat race? Leave them alone as they scurry through the maize!.

Google "LA Traffic" and you can see real time traffic, which also lists speeds (note how much higher speeds the carpools generally are running!).

Just my two cents!

larryweikart
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Just passed thru Miami Ok. on our way home! BE AWARE, if traveling North on I-44 there is a VERY dangerous detour at exit 47. (in Mo. just before you get to St. Louis) During evening hours, (not sure of exact times, but believe it is between 11pm and 6am) the entire North lane is shut down and the detour takes you down a road that is not designed for big rigs. We were caught in this and had no alternative but to take the detour. 3hr backup and could be longer as some big rigs have difficulty in making some turns and their rear wheels drop off of the road and a tow truck needs to tow them out. If you see the flashing warnings, prior to getting to MM47, get your map out and find an alternate route.

RussWhite
06-02-2012, 02:49 PM
We should be on our way tomorrow. At the last minute I noticed that we had planned to use some camping places that have Passport America association, so I can make up the annual cost of membership easily on this trip. Also discovered as I was getting ready to join online that there is a place to put the memeber number of someone who may have referred me to Passport America. So, who ever wants to PM me their member number I will put that in there and you can get whatever benefit that results in these days. Every little bit helps! Russ

RussWhite
06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
We are off to a good start! We stopped first at the Natchez Trace State Park near Jackson, Tennessee. We visited with relatives and then moved on to Tom Sawyer's RV Park on the banks of the mightly Mississippi. Bar-B-Q at the famous Rendezvous downtown. From there into the Ozarks to the beautiful home of Steve and Suzy Bare. We talked Newells until the cows literally came home. Gorgeous farming country, super boat ride on the Table Rock Lake, discovered Eureka Springs and all its history, and even changed a few filters and rubbed on the wheels. The time came all too quickly that we had to make the short run to Miami, OH and every Newell persons mecca, the Factory!

Not wanting to blow the entire trip budget in one spot I had only the essential brake repairs for a siezed "S" cam on the drive axle repaired. We also had a broken awning latch fixed so we would be ready for any high side winds as we head south and west. We should be beyong Fort Worth tomorrow night, then west Texas the next, and ready to settle down in Mesa the follow night for several days. We are looking forward to seeing Tom and Darlene and any kids that are in for the summer. It should be a really good test of my air conditioners.

The service business appears very good at the factory. We have met Bill Johnson and Allen Newman as well as Neil and Carol Schopke. Enough typing, time to circulate.

Russ and Cynthia

tuga
06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Russ,

Looks like you and your daughter are off to a good start. I always wanted to stay at Tom Sawyer's RV park on the Mississippi River. The closest I've come to doing that was a weekend stay in Vidalia, LA across the river from Natchez. It was really a neat park; you could watch the boats on the river from your coach. Sounds like you and Steve had a blast talking about Newells!

I feel the same way about going to the Factory! It's awesome; I love seeing the new coaches "on the line"! It's like being a kid in a candy store!

Qucik question: How can you tell if an S cam is seizing up? Does it smoke?

I test my brakes to see if they are dragging by: start rolling forward by putting it in D, let it move forward a ways, then put it in N, and see if there is any resistance. It is also a good test to see if the tow car is in N and everything is rolling freely.

RussWhite
06-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Hi Tuga,

If you take your test one step farhter you would have discovered the problem that landed me at Miami. When you are rolling in neutral at low speed, pull the yellow parking brake knob and expect a quick stop. If it continue to coast and comes to a stop slowly, your "S" cams on the drive axle drum brakes could be part of the problem. I park on the edge of the ocean and I think that contribued to the seizure. They were able to free it up and lube it well. I first noticed I had a problem when I engaged the parking brake on an incline and the coach slipped back a few feet. That was very concerning and now I know why and it's all better now. I like your free rolling test and will try to remember to do that when conditions allow. Good hearing from you. It's funny when you have not actually met someone to even know how to pronouce their name. You came up in our conversations at the Bare's and he calls you Tuga, like a tug boat. In my mind I always thought of you as two-ga. We had only good things to say about you, no matter how we pronouced your name. Take care, Russ

tuga
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Russ,

Thanks for the compliments. Steve and I have talked on the phone many times, he's a great guy.

Actually, I tell people that my name rhymns with sugar (silent r) - pronounced Tuga!

Have a great trip! Keep us posted with pictures and commentary.

Thanks for the tip on the rolling test; I'm going to add that to my routine.

RussWhite
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Very diplomatic Tuga. We both had it wrong :)

Put in about 440 miles today and ended up west of Fort Worth at a super nice park in the middle of nowhere. Easy in and very reasonable with lots of nice features. Great water pressure and great 50 amp service. I managed to screw up the install of the RViBrake and got the brakes really hot by the time I was at the toll both. I smelled something, and just then the overtemperature on my tire pressure monitor on the Jeep went off! They were smoking, but never locked. Thank goodness for the TPMS and I fully understand what I did, so no future problems expected. The Texas Motor Speedway is really big - well I am reminded by Cynthia, "Everything is big in Texas"!

I saw you request for Roadmaster tow shield. I have almost a complete one, ecxpect for the one panel I left behind somewhere. They would not sell me a single panel. I am just towing without one for now as my investment in the Jeep is not real large.
Later.... Russ and Cynthia

RussWhite
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
It's a small world.

While checking into Coffe Creek RV Resort the gal said they didn't have many Newells, but there was one other than came frequently. She explained they had two Great Danes, and adult and a pup. We had actually spent the previous night parked right beside them at the Newell Factory. Now how is that for a coincidence?

tuga
06-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Russ,

I don't know if you are planning to stay on I-20 to Abilene, but if you go thru Amarillo on the way back be sure to stop at the Big Texan Steakhouse. You probably have heard of it or will see some road signs advertising it; anyway, they have a 72 oz. steak dinner and if you can eat ALL OF IT in 1 hour it is FREE! If you try to eat it you have to eat not only the 72 oz. steak, but also the baked potato, shrimp cocktail, and dinner roll. There is a display of the entire steak dinner in a refrigerated glass case so you can see what you are getting into. If you visit the bar while waiting for a table, notice the list of people who have eaten the steak dinner in 1 hour or LESS! There is a woman who weighed 119# that ate the entire dinner in 57 minutes. The fast recorded time for eating the entire thing was 11 minutes! That dude was really hungry!

It might be something that you and Cynthia might enjoy on your return trip. It is on I-40 on the east side of Amarillo!

If you visit it you will never forget it (its like your bill at Newell)! LOL!

folivier
06-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Big Texan has great fudge too!

RussWhite
07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
We will be leaving Las Vegas in the morning after leaving nothing behind, or taking any winnings either:) LVM ( Las Vegas Motorcoach ) was a super nice place and we loved our stay there. Unfortunately the other Newell here has been abandoned in favor of cooler temperatures, I suspect, by its owner - too bad we would have enjoyed talking with another Newell owner.

We are off to Sparks NV by way of California roads most of the way. Our route leaves Nevada on 6 to Benton. At Benton it appears that to stay on an approved truckers road ( from our Rand McNally Carrier's Atlas ) we will have to swing considerably south before we can go north again. There is a road called 120 out of Benton that would save us miles, but I don't dare risk it since it's not listed. We have a big day ahead of us, but we want to meet up with friends over the weekend in the Seattle area.

Hoover Dam was amazing and Lake Mead looked low, but what do I know?

Later,......
Russ and Cynthia

rheavn
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Russ,
Look at staying on 95 to Hawthorne. Then go west on 359 which turns into 167 which meets 395 just above Mono Lake. Your instincts were right. 120 is restricted to any motorcoach over 40' 167 has no restrictions and will take you less out of your way than going back on Hwy 6.

RussWhite
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
This is crazy - 359 in Nevada turns into CA 167. In Nevada the route is an approved STAA dimensioned roadway. But, according to Motor Carrier's Road Atlas as soon as it becomes 167 in California, it is not approved. Anyone have an explanation for this? It looks perfectly straight on the map and I cannot image why it would not work, but this west is all new to me. Thoughts?

Russ

rheavn
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Russ,
Check this link which is the CalTrans approved roads for motorcoaches over 40'. You'll see that Hwy 167 is approved.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/busmap-d09.pdf

RussWhite
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks Steve! That is a great link and I am saving it. Clearly, I am legal there and feel much better about the route. I have no idea why it did not make the highlighted routes in the Rand McNally Carriers Guide, but no matter, with Newell friends like you one does not feel so alone.

RussWhite
07-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Soon we will be off to Spokane, WA and then on to West Glacier, MT. The GPS suggested route from Spokane to West Glacier is esentially Route 2. It appears to be a trucker approved road in the Carriers Atlas. I could just go south and get I90 for most of the way, longer but that is okay if there are problems with 2. Could anyone chime in that knows that part of the country and give us some advice?

Thanks - Russ and Cynthia

Bikestuff
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi Russ,

I cannot offer any driving advice...but I can tell you that I have always wanted to visit southeast Washington state. There is an area called the Palouse that is super scenic. If you have time and the roads are good, you might want to try to detour through the area.

http://www.palousescenicbyway.com

I hope you and Cynthia are having a great time! (Baxter says hi!...slurp!)

Cheers,
bill

folivier
07-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Where's Clarke when you need him?
He just spent a month in Spokane, think he's headed west. PM him if he doesn't jump in soon.

chockwald
07-11-2012, 03:48 AM
I haven't driven HWY 2 east from Spokane, but I have from Spokane west to the coast and it is a great highway. Someone else mentioned the Palouse, and it is, indeed, a beautiful highway. I-90 east takes you over several passes and over the Continental Divide.....lot of climbing and descending, but the highway is in good condition, and the views are also spectacular....you'll cross the Clark Fork River many, many times, so you can think of me every time you cross it....lol! There is a Cabela's in Post Falls, just over the border into Idaho where you could overnight (dry camp) if that is a good stopping point for you....about 30 minutes east of Spokane.

2dogs
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Russ, just getting to hwy 2 thru spokane is a pita heavy traffic. i would suggest 90 east to 95 north then up to bonners ferry. stop by we are the camp hosts at bonner county fairgrounds in Sandpoint Brian and Lana

RussWhite
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks so much for the invite Brian and Lana. We decided on I90 and will do the 290 miles on Saturday and stay at the East Glacier KOA while we visit the park. It is becoming more difficult to arrive without reservations at this time. We are having to plan a little farther ahead and then stick to the plan!

We are presently at the Spokane RV Resort and Golf Club - a very nice facility and there is uncovered concrete pad on our site even after unhooking the toad. These sites are huge. We are kind of hoping a golf ball will strike the windshield and finish it off so we know to get a new one :-) Having fun.... Russ and Cynthia

2dogs
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Russ, enjoy your trip glacier is great this time of year lots of bridge construction on 90 last 2 years have a safe trip Brian and Lana

RussWhite
07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Hi Friends,

We are checking off the places on our list and making memories to last a lifetime. We have arrived at Bryce Canyon National Park and we don't see how anything can get more beautiful than this! Just want to thank everyone for the helpful comments and suggestions. We are trying so hard to make all the right decisions and not get outselves into any trouble and not ding the Newell along the way. Still there are challenges..... We were almost to Bryce after a 600 mile day when we encountered a sign advising of tunnels ahead with a height of exactly what I had measured the Newell to be. We dived into a pulloff and began looking at our trucker's atlas and low clearances. Nothing seemed to add up as we waited for a tour bus or an eighteen wheeler to pass. None did. We called on our Newell buddies who had been this way and placed calls to the park where we were planning to stay. Finally, on the second person we talked to at Ruby's RV resort said, "No Problem!" Stay toward the center which is much taller than the sign says - 18 wheelers go through there all the time. When we approached the arch it was clearly going to be okay and we breezed right through. We only lost some time and sweat off a couple pounds, but better safe than sorry.

Cynthia is keeping up with our adventures by writing a blog - her first. We would sure appricate it if any of you had the time to check it out and all comments are much appreciated. We are off to Zion tomorrow, and then to Moab for lots more Utah national parks.

Russ and Cynthia

folivier
07-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Glad yall are enjoying the trip. Have fun.

Bikestuff
07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Russ,

Glad to hear you guys are having fun! I recently got stuck in a similar situation. I was just east of Miami, Ok headed to the factory from Baxter Springs. I have tried to measure my coach, and have not gotten an accurate height...so I always assume that I am 13' 6". The sign at the low bridge at Baxter says Warning: 13' 8" low clearance. Hmmm. I know (from experience) that the road height can vary a little....so what if I happen to be riding high? I sat there and looked at the bridge for over 10 minutes. It sure looked low.

So...what did I do? I asked Baxter and he said go for it! I did not. I went back around the long way. Sigh.

This last trip, the Newell guys were taking my coach for a test ride...and they sailed under the same bridge with no trouble. I had visions of clearing the top of my coach.

Anyway..just wanted to say hi and say that I am jealous of all the places you guys have gone on your trip.

Cheers,
bill

encantotom
07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Bill, i have to chuckle at your silly post. today after i left steve's, i was got past miami, ok so we detoured in to pick a few things up. my daughter routed us the back way through baxter springs. so this morning i saw the sign that said low clearance, 13'8". we laughed about it and thought for a minute about lowering, but we slowed down and went under. as we did, my daughter said, "no loud crunching noises" and off we went. btw, i picked up the stainless trim piece that goes over the headlights and center of the genny cover. we cruise about 400 miles today and are stopped in elk city ok at a very spartan rv park. however, it was cheap and it has great internet and cable. we will try to do another 500 miles tomorrow and stay in grants nm and then hit home on wed. over 4000 miles and it has been fantastic for the 5 of us.

tuga
07-24-2012, 02:22 AM
I will mention this just for information purposes: our HWH leveling system has a feature that allows you to lower the entire coach about 4". This is handy when you have to enter a garage or carport that might be a little lower than normal at the entrance. If you press the 4 arrows down button and wait a few mintues the majic will happen. You can only drive straight (do not turn the front wheels because they will rub on the fender wells).

It can get you out of a jamb but please be careful and don't take any chances. It's not worth it to damage the top of your Newell - go around or back up and turn around. Better to be safe than sorry!

RussWhite
07-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Hi Tuga,

It's been a while since I checked out just how the interlocks work on my HWH, but I don't think it is just as simple as pressing the down buttons. This is from my memory and I will check it out again when the opportunity arise.
If you are in gear, pressing the raise/lower buttons will be ignored by HWH. To get manual control you must put the coach in neutral and then press the AIR button once. That will put it in manual mode and then you may dump air as you suggest. But, once the air is dumped if you go back into gear to move the coach, manaul mode will be automatically exited and the coach will go into travel mode. Just as soon as that happens, the level control valves will start putting air back in the bags. The exception to this is when you use the dedicated RAISE or DUMP button. If you use the DUMP instead of the four down arrows I think you can move the coach at low speed without it going into TRAVEL mode.

I'll edit this post, or repost, if I learn differently. A lot of caution needs to be used here. I think I can lower my coach until there is interference between the body and the tire. Maybe it should not be that way, but I believe it is. In an emergency, I suppose it would be better to rub the tires than rub the roof however :-)

We visited Zion today in the Jeep. There is a long ( 1.1 mile tunnel ) in the park that is marked 13' 1" in the center. Coaches over 13' and over 50,000 lbs are prohibited. We talked up a coach driver last night at the RV wash. He was driving a Van Hool and had been through the tunnel. The big difference between him and us, his clean roof top. If I didn't have the exhaust stack, exhaust fans, TV antenna, etc. I would probably gain 10 inches or so. We got quite a kick when we actually saw him at a vista point in Zion loading up all his passengers and heading for the tunnel. The only way I want to go through that tunnel is in the Jeep! Off to Moab tomorrow.

encantotom
07-24-2012, 03:09 AM
i have a feature that i dont think everyone has. it is a leveling over-ride switch on the center console. if i flip it on, i can operate the hwh system anytime the switch is on. including when the engine is running and is in gear. the newell tech explained it to me when i was there a few weeks ago. i am thinking that just having darlene ride on the roof with her cell phone would be the best bet....

afrench45
07-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Russ,
If you use the leveling override switch, you can drive the coach with the hwh any way you like. If overrides the travel mode feature when the coach is in gear basically.

encantotom
07-24-2012, 03:33 AM
i dont think everyone has that switch. i know steve bear does not have it.
i dont think russ has it either.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I need to confirm that I can raise the coach to cross a bridge in California in a month. I do not have the override switch either. I will need to raise the coach for clearance as well as make sharp turns to cross the bridge. Any directions on how to accomplish this?

RussWhite
07-25-2012, 02:37 AM
Chester,

Yes, I do this fairly often and this is how it works.....

Stop the coach. Put Allison in neutral. Press the RAISE button ( it has four upward pointing arrows on the button ). It should start blinking - no need to hold it when it is blinking. To speed up the process put the coach in fast idle. Sit there and wait - be patient - it may take as much as four or five minutes. Just watch your system air pressure and when it reaches cut off - about 115 psi or so, you are up as high as you can go. If you don't want to be that high, you could stop sooner. Now go back to normal idle and you can put the coach in gear and slowly move. Just as soon as you are over needing the extra heigh, press the TRAVEL or STOP buttons on the HWH panel and you will return to travel mode. Don't increase speed too quickly as it takes some time for the coach to lower to noraml traveling level. I think it will automatically go out of the RAISE mode if you exceed some minimum speed, but I always put it back in travel mode just as soon as I can. I don't think being raised is a good thing for the drive shaft angle, so just keep that in mind.

If I missed anything or you have any questions, just let me know. Russ

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Russ, thanks a bunch.