PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Old Awning's cloth

Nasser
04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone!! I hop all doing fine along with this weather fluctuation!
I am looking to change my old Awnings, but did not know the steps. Would someone tell me a 1, 2, 3... step please! and where to order? I just want to change the cloth part and not the metal.

Another thing... is it possible to polish these awnings arms? mine have a "mat" look.

Thank you all in advance

Nasser

tuga
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Nasser,

If you google Zip Dee awnings you will find what you are looking for. Confirm that you have Zip Dee awnings; the name Zip Dee should be seen on the sides of the awning metal housing.

I changed my awnings a few years ago. Talk to someone with Zip Dee - it is a pretty simple process.

rheavn
04-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Nassar,
Here is a Zip-Dee link that will give you a 1, 2, 3 instructions on replacement.

http://awningsbyzipdee.com/2815/index.html

Polishing is possible. If your expectation is to take a matte finish and make it chrome shiny, I'm not sure you will accomplish that without some extreme polishing that will require more than just some metal polish and elbow grease. If you're looking for the chrome shiny it is possible to purchase the highly polished arms & metal casings from Zip-Dee.

Hope this helps........................

prairieschooner
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Nasser,
Good luck with this, if you wind up replacing one of those I would be interested in the old one.
Clarke installed a new awning and may be of some help.
Brad did some repairs as well.

encantotom
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
i took my zip dee off and replaced the canvas "hinge" i dont think it would be that hard to change the canvas.

tom

Nasser
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Nassar,
Here is a Zip-Dee link that will give you a 1, 2, 3 instructions on replacement.

http://awningsbyzipdee.com/2815/index.html

Polishing is possible. If your expectation is to take a matte finish and make it chrome shiny, I'm not sure you will accomplish that without some extreme polishing that will require more than just some metal polish and elbow grease. If you're looking for the chrome shiny it is possible to purchase the highly polished arms & metal casings from Zip-Dee.

Hope this helps........................
What I heard -when we were in Toledo 3 years ago at Pentterra coaches... they talked to us about the "Jewell polish", and how they convert mat or brushed steel to mirror look. Polish that involve heat and special chemicals. In the past Prevost bus company use to deliver there buses to conversion companies -like Marathon, country coach- with brushed steel, and from there, conversion companies do "Jewell polish" them to look luxury, and customers liked the shinny look of the bus.. later on the Prevost company does the work automatically. its really tough work to do, very slow and need to watch the heat level or the metal would wave if miss using. Bob (at Pentterra coaches) told me -if I stell remember- that they use to take ($5000) doing a 40f Prevost coach. Because it is not repairing the metal back to original! its converting something to something else.

Nasser
04-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Nasser,
Good luck with this, if you wind up replacing one of those I would be interested in the old one.
Clarke installed a new awning and may be of some help.
Brad did some repairs as well.
Ok! I will alert you when I have it ready... I ll be happy to