PDA

View Full Version : exhaust fans blowing fuse

encantotom
04-21-2012, 05:14 AM
i have two fantastic fan vents in my rig. one in each bathroom. both are on a 20a fuse in the rear closet. they kept blowing the fuse.

i took both fans apart and started eliminating where it was shorted at. i disconnected both fans...still a short, took all the switches out and still a short from power to ground. i disconnected the wire at the fuse block and followed it in the wire chase at the ceiling of the rear closet and since i have the valence off in the bedroom followed it there. i cut the wire to isolate it into sections. the power wire from the fan in the rear bath to the wall was shorted up in the ceiling. i took the wire chases down in the rear bath including the one in the shower. now i just have to get a new wire from the chase to the fan. it is only about 18". so i took the ceiling halogen light out newr it and will run a wire from the opening in it to the fan (drill a hole) and then from the light hole to the side wire chase. alot of work but shoudl be terribly hard. at least the fans are good.

my coach is totally torn apart inside. or seems like it

i will post some pictures later

tom

encantotom
04-22-2012, 05:02 AM
i finished running a new power and ground for the rear bath exhaust fan today. it took me alot of time but turned out great. i also took the two exhaust fans apart and totally cleaned and went on the roof and resealed them as well as cleaned the dome and armouralled them.

i ended up running a rubber clear tube as a "conduit" because the wires went through some aluminum.

i wimped out and ran the genny all day to run the air conditioners. it was in the low 100's. under full load the genny got up fot about 215 degrees or so.

here are a few pictures of my adventure.

tom

fulltiming
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Tom, you are the master of disassembly. I fear I would be able to get only about 90% of it back together but I have no doubt you will have it back in perfect condition shortly.

folivier
04-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Hey, I always find it amusing how manufacturers and installers always include these extra screws and miscellaneous parts. I always have some left over when I finish a project!