PDA

View Full Version : How many have class b licenses?

folivier
05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Interesting discussion starting up on Escapees: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=98768

Seems a guy in Texas was busted for not having class b license, trooper declared his 2002 Prevost a commercial vehicle since he admitted he used it to drive to clients.
I'm just wondering if anybody has a class b or higher license (mainly due to weight) to meet different state's requirements?
Maybe some states are finding ways to get more revenue? And are targeting Rv'ers thinking they aren't local and won't fight the ticket?
Anybody ever been ticketed or questioned because of this?
Slow day today....

rheavn
05-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Forest,
The info seems incomplete in the thread. If the Prevost is registered in Texas, then the driver must have a class B license for a vehicle over 26,000 lbs. That is different from a commercial license that the trooper indicated. If the Prevost is registered in another state then a Texas, class B license is not required. "There is a lot more to the story" comment by the poster is probably right. I'll bet there was something that indicated to the trooper that he was conducting commerce. If so he would need a commercial license no matter what state the coach was registered. Sounds like a Montana registered coach to me.

I do not have a class B license as it in not required by Missouri

folivier
05-18-2012, 02:07 PM
So as I understand it if my state of registration doesn't require a specific license then I'm good to go in whatever state I'm traveling in?
Thanks Steve.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
05-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I have been in Escapees for many years and have always had a Texas drivers license because my legal address is at Escapees in Polk County. My Newell is titled in my Montana LLC. To legally drive a heavy motorhome using a Texas license, I have been told I have to have a "B" license. Accordingly, I took the motorhome test in El Paso. I am concerned that I could experience trouble with my insurance if I were not correctly licensed. If this is not correct, I would appreciate knowing.

MarkofSJC
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
FYI, in CA it's based on length, not weight. Anything over 40' requires a class B non-commercial at least. If you have a commercial A or B, you're automatically okay.

folivier
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
In CA is it total length (I'm 39' towing a jeep)?
And will spend some time passing through next spring.

rheavn
05-18-2012, 06:10 PM
You don't need a California class B unless California is your state of residency. There are restrictions for coaches over 40'. Stick with truck routes and you'll be fine.

Chester: If your state of residency is Texas then you would need a Texas class B. I drive in Texas, but I'm covered by Missouri licensing as my residency is Missouri. I stand corrected--the key is residency, not the state of registration of the coach. I'll bet though the Prevost in the post was registered in Montana which led to questions of why the coach was registered to a LLC. Authorities are cracking down on people involved in tax dodges(and I'm not indicating you are) and running commercial business without proper licensing. States need money and enforcement that leads to revenue is up!

Forest: It is coaches over 40' that have roadway restrictions. Total length is still restricted to 65'. You'll be fine. I'm in SoCal at least once a year and never had a problem. There was a time Cal was turning back coaches over 40', but that has been legislatively corrected.

Neweller
05-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Steve has nipped it in the butt. Current law on a lot of issues are valid by the state you hold your license in. Of course if the government gets their way we will have the same most restrictive laws from all around the country applied. I know, were not there yet. I'll be quite. shhh.....Some of this is about chance and being in the wrong place at the wrong time and if the cop wants to be an ass. Just don't be one yourself.:o I have a class A and have for a number of years, so I'm covered under weight anyways, but if a claim was made that I was chauffeuring folks around I would not have the right license for that.

Ken

chockwald
05-18-2012, 10:43 PM
No Class E license here....still domiciled in California for the time being.

afrench45
05-19-2012, 04:20 AM
Been driving a coach in Oklahoma since I was 16 and just have a regular class D license!

prairieschooner
05-20-2012, 03:37 AM
Just read the DMV and glad that ours is only 38'!!! No Class C yet.

MarkofSJC
06-02-2012, 05:53 AM
No Class B license here....still domiciled in California for the time being.

Careful! You may be targeted for "supplimenting the CA revenue shortfall!" Even weirder...license is for 4 years, but you need to renew your medical certificate every two years!