PDA

View Full Version : Brake light and cruise control issue, looking for brake light switch

totes
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello all, I am having an issue with my motorhome. As of now when I apply light pressure on the brake pedal, to say kill the cruise, it will not shut off the cruise. I really have to be into the pedal for it to kick off the cruise. I suspect the brake light switch is a little screwed up and just not working until it see's higher pressure. Problem is I have no idea where it is. I have talked to Newell and they advised me it was ahead of the drive axle. Checked there and all around there and I see nothing. Then they said they misunderstood and told me it would be on a canister under the dash by the pedal. I have checked there as well, it is pretty empty under there aside from a pile of wires and air lines, no canister. I have also checked the front bays and under the front drivers side by the HWH manifold, nothing there. I was hoping someone here has an idea where to check next. Thanks in advance.

lbrachfe
06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Mine is in the compartment uner driver where HWH equipment is. when looking in the compartment look up to the left and on top of the wall mounted box is a little 3x3 metal box with a switch , a marker plaque and light. If you are not looking towards the top left it is easily missed

tuga
06-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Hello all, I am having an issue with my motorhome. As of now when I apply light pressure on the brake pedal, to say kill the cruise, it will not shut off the cruise. I really have to be into the pedal for it to kick off the cruise. I suspect the brake light switch is a little screwed up and just not working until it see's higher pressure. Problem is I have no idea where it is. I have talked to Newell and they advised me it was ahead of the drive axle. Checked there and all around there and I see nothing. Then they said they misunderstood and told me it would be on a canister under the dash by the pedal. I have checked there as well, it is pretty empty under there aside from a pile of wires and air lines, no canister. I have also checked the front bays and under the front drivers side by the HWH manifold, nothing there. I was hoping someone here has an idea where to check next. Thanks in advance.

Serge,

I had the same problem back in December 2007. My coach is a 1999 like yours; coach #512.

Charley Rhodes w/Newell diagnosed my problem as a bad cruise control switch ($38). He said that a faulty c.c. switch will cause the brake lights & cruise control release not to work. When we changed the switch it solved the problems. The wire was yellow w/green stripe. It is not easy to find yellow wire w/green stripe; ask Newell if they have some and include about 5' of it with the switch.

Hope this helps you - if you need me to I can look up the part # and you can order it from Newell.

RussWhite
06-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Serge,

I had the same problem back in December 2007. My coach is a 1999 like yours; coach #512.

Charley Rhodes w/Newell diagnosed my problem as a bad cruise control switch ($38). He said that a faulty c.c. switch will cause the brake lights & cruise control release not to work. When we changed the switch it solved the problems. The wire was yellow w/green stripe. It is not easy to find yellow wire w/green stripe; ask Newell if they have some and include about 5' of it with the switch.

Hope this helps you - if you need me to I can look up the part # and you can order it from Newell.

Tuga,

Help me understand what kind of switch you are talking about. Is it a switch that is actuated by air pressure with a place to connect an air line and wires out, or are you talking more about some kind of electrical only switch with just wires? Where is it located?

Thanks,
Russ

tuga
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Russ,

I found the Newell invoice: Newell part # 6940 Switch Stop-Lite Bendix 226262 SL-3 $37.92

Yes, it has an 3/8" air line that connects to a T: the T is connected on one side to the Brake Control and the Bendix switch connects to the other side of the T. 2 wires are attached to the Bendix switch: yellow/blue which goes to #3 fuse and yellow/green which goes to a wire loom.

I can fax a copy of the installation instructions to you if you give me your fax number (Russ & Serge & anyone else).

Hope this helps!

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Tuga and Russ, I have the same problem of disengaging the cruise control without stomping on the brake. I do not have a fax, but would certainly appreciate an attachment to an email and/or information so that I can locate the switch. My email is chester.stone@gmail.com Thanks

totes
06-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Thank you very much Tuga for your thoughtfulness in getting back to me. My fax number is 231-842-1819.

tuga
06-15-2012, 12:30 AM
You're welcome Serge, I will fax it in the morning when I get to work. I am also going to TRY to scan the instructions into my PICASA software. If I can do that, I may be able to UPLOAD it in a post. That way everyone can see how to install the new Bendix switch.

Wish me luck!

tuga
06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you very much Tuga for your thoughtfulness in getting back to me. My fax number is 231-842-1819.

Serge,

I tried 3 times this morning (around 11AM CDT); I got a busy signal each time.

I'll keep trying!

totes
06-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Tuga

My email is serge.cousin@seabrookplastics.com

Or fax at 231-759-6213

Thanks Serge

totes
06-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Tuga

I already bought one on eBay for $20.00.

totes
06-16-2012, 02:19 AM
fax #616-842-1819

totes
06-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Tuga

I received the fax.

Thanks Serge

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Tuga and Serge, any chance of scanning it into the forum as a pictured?

totes
06-19-2012, 03:11 AM
HI Chester

I will try to do that tomorrow.

totes
06-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Tuga and Serge, any chance of scanning it into the forum as a pictured?

totes
06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Sorry for the deley, here are the pictures as requested. Hopefully this can help others out.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks very much. I have downloaded them and I am sure they will guide me.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Tuga, I finally received my new switch and appreciate the photos and instructions. I opened up the brake control area and noted that my coach has a SMC model VX2110 brake light switch located near the floor. It has two wires, and I am wondering if these two wires can be used instead of running a new wire to the fuse panel. Any thoughts you have would be helpful.

tuga
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Chester,

I would contact Newell for the answer. As mentioned many times before, no two Newells are alike. Even though mine is a 1999 and yours is a 2001 - they may be different. I am not much of an electrician either, so again you would be well served to call Newell Service.