PDA

View Full Version : ceiling trim pieces

encantotom
06-23-2012, 03:47 AM
the ceiling on mine has a combination of 1/8" mirrored acrylic and 1/8" plexiglass that has a light gray like laminate looking paper on the back that then the entire thing is glued to the ceiling.

the piece that is 6" wide wit hthe round puck lights in it in front of the fridge from the bedroom to the living room (flares out at the living room area) had fallen down and broke into quite a few pieces.

cant get the same stuff that was there so there was a number of options.

1. make a piece out of plexiglass and cover it with fabric. not sure this would have worked well.

2. put mirrored acrylic in its place like the rest of the ceiling. we headed down that path but couldnt find locally the bronze mirrored acrylic and to have it shipped in was going to total about $300.

3. since we were buying laminate for the bedroom we thought, hey, why not cut a piece of laminate and put up there. the piece was ten feet long and was done in two pieces. decided since we have 12 foot long laminate to go ahead and use a single piece. darlene took the old plexiglass piece (to use as a template) to a friend of mine who has a high end car shop (like the ones you see on tv) and he does alot of fabrication. he had one of his guys cut it out using a router after making a jig. turned out really well. we had it glued to the original plexiglass.

we will glue it up tomorrow.

tom

encantotom
06-24-2012, 03:29 AM
today we put the piece up on the ceiling. had to do a little trimming by using a palm sander.

i dry fit it quite a number of times till it fit perfectly.

then i used a combination of contact cement put on with a roller and on the bell end i used construction adhesive since i needed to slide it under the leather ceiling trim and contact cement wouldnt work there.

it fit perfectly and looks amazing. then i put the 4 puck ceiling lights up with led's and it is great.

no one could tell it wasnt original. looks better than the original stuff actually.

the finished product is below

RussWhite
06-24-2012, 04:43 AM
With generator just purring along, all four compressors doing their thing, 107 outside but mid 70's inside, holding our breath the piece was put in place and it fit perfectly! Looks like Newell quality work. We tested the contant cement bond between the plastic and plywood prior to installation and it held very well. Tom and Darlene just keep chipping away at the project list and can mark off another one.

We made a lot of progess and had a great time.
Russ and Cynthia

Dan B
10-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Nice job, looks awesome!