PDA

View Full Version : HWY 17 and 20 in Washington State

chockwald
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
In about a week we will leave Spokane and head west to the coast along Highway 2, which we have traveled before, but will deviate off Highway 2 utilizing Highway 17 and 20 over to I-5. Part of this route is through the famous Methow Valley. Have any of you traveled 17 and 20 in Washington? We understand it is very scenic...some say the area reminds them of the French Alps. At any rate, any input any of you might have would be greatly appreciated!!

zcasa
06-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Clarke:

We took highway 97 south out of Canada and met highway 20 westbound over Cascade Pass. The town of Winthrop is a remodeled old western town. Kinda fun. No worries at all climbing Cascade Pass with a few steep hills and switchbacks. Once you crest it is downhill to I5. Very scenic. Enjoy and see you in Denver in September. Life is good.

David

lbrachfe
06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
We traveled this route North to Canada in 2010 and it was scenic and a fun drive. Road conditions were smooth.

chockwald
06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the input......you have confirmed what others have told me, so I'm looking forward to the drive!

W. Mark Hellinger
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
so I'm looking forward to the drive!
I probably caught this thread a little late, but:

Grand Coolie dam is definately worth a visit, & take the dam tour. I believe you'd want to take Hwy 174 from Hwy 2 to Hwy 17 to take in the dam.

As I recall, Hwy 20 may be fairly sparsely populated for services.