PDA

View Full Version : Clean your Radiator?

prairieschooner
08-04-2012, 08:46 PM
How do you clean your Radiator?
I just got done cleaning the Radiator. I use Simple Green and try to soak it as best as I can from the Engine Side. After a few hours I take a garden hose and spray it from the outside in.

Spitz
08-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi, I don't own a Newell yet, but have worked on many semi's and buses. We do not use the regular kind of Simple Green on newer vehicles as it will eat aluminum. So be carefull with whatever product you choose. We use the Simple Green safe for aircraft.

express1
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Thats Right! Steve.

TheCarabiners
08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I always ues Dawn dishwashing liquid. I use a sprayer to reach inside the shroud. I have the engine running to let the fan help spread it. Then turn the fan on hi speed for more help. Then let it sit a few minutes. Then rinse lightly thru the fan. Then flush as much as possible from the outside. You will not believe what the ground will look like when finished.
Also, have a camera ready, if you remember the I Love Lucy show with the dishwasher........
Be careful reaching inside and careful with the fins one the outside!

The Newell
08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I have used a pressure washer on mine, but didn't get it close enough to damage the fins. Some cleaners (Castrol Super Clean) will remove paint if left on too long.

I would clean the outside and flush the inside.

prairieschooner
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this. I had no idea that it was corrosive to aluminum! The bottle says nothing about it but I will be using something else net time.
This is why it is good to share information.