PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy anyone?

Neweller
08-04-2012, 11:53 PM
We were down working on another members property down at the Lake of the Ozarks recently and half of us ended up with a Poison Ivy rash. I have not had such a thing in over 40 years. And when you get this stuff all over things it's a tough son-of-gun to get rid of. Any tricks out there? I've heard of Jewell weed being good.

Ken

express1
08-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Think is call Ivyrest , CVS. stops itching fasttttttt. $20-25.
Hot water sure feels good. But not good.
I get it pretty bad a few months out of the year. Worst case.... Doctor will prescribe a type of steroid.

Hugo
08-05-2012, 01:50 AM
The wife and I got a really bad rash last year on our legs when we stayed at our friends pad in Lake Tahoe and ventured off the beaten path. We used dish washing soap (Dawn) soap with an oil cutter is better than standard bar soap. It seemed to help but then the rash went crazy and spread to different parts of our bodies. We then were told by our friends to give Zanfel, we tried it and that worked wonders for us. You may want to try it too.

lbrachfe
08-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Caladryl works for me

Ground Control
08-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Can't say I or my wife especially miss that stuff. My wife has a major problem with getting the garbage. She has had poison oak, ivy and sumac. Down here in Belize, I don't think it exist. We have not had any problems of the sort in 3 yrs. Now the sand fleas like me a little and not her. But we have preventative measures for them. Poison Ivy is a tough one. My wifes problem is her succeptability of re-exposure. Dawn detergent works good for cleaning the culprits oil off of you.

Neweller
08-05-2012, 11:24 PM
We are trying multiple things. This is some tough stuff to deal with. Obviously got things on clothes, boots, tools etc.. Now wiping everything down that we even think we touched. The truck, skidsteer, rakes etc..... And I'm told it can last for up to 8 wks. arg!!!! All to get a couple of RV pads ready on the lake? Maybe it's worth it.

folivier
08-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Be careful with your clothes and shoes. The oil can be spread to someone. Also wash this clothes separately, NOT with your undies:o

Randy J
08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
ah hell! That's a real killer. I hope you get it under wraps. Try witch hazel to soothe the itch and if that doesn't work you can try rubbing alcohol but it might burn like a :o

NeverEnding
08-08-2012, 02:32 AM
I haven't had a rash from ivy since I was a child. I guess that's what happens when you don't leave the city. I hope you find something to get rid of it.

FJGuard
08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Ken, best thing is prevention. You've heard right Jewel weed will help clear it up.

Neweller
08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice. You would think on the world wide web there would be better answers, it's all the same jargon out there. I order Jewelweed from Amazon and they sent me Peppermint extract instead (go figure). Because of the huge demand this year a lot of the good stuff got wiped out. I tried pretty much everything imaginable and the best thing so far has been Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap, 2-Ounce (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ET5H6/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0009ET5H6&linkCode=as2&tag=affiliatechie-20)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=affiliatechie-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0009ET5H6. They recommend taking 3-4 showers a day. Now that is a lot of water going into the septic system from a household taking that many showers. Two a day seems to be working fine. You just can't let up. The soap goes away fast too, and at 5-7 bucks a bar it adds up. I still have to return the peppermint to Amazon.:rolleyes:

Ken

folivier
08-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm staying out of this discussion since I can catch it
just looking at it!