PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and Polishing exterior?

Cheri Smith
08-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Any one have any recommendations for shinning up the sides...
What type of cleaner/Polish...
Best method to apply and buff...
Any Do's & Don'ts...
What works best for you...?

I am making a honey do list :o

oh before I forget I own a 1979 Newell Classic

Cheri

The Newell
08-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Hello Cheri,

I think this will help you: http://newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php/1233-Polishing-a-1979-Newell/page2

I did read through the topic and prairieschooner recommended the following product:

McGuire's Cleaner/Wax

Hope this helps

prairieschooner
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Cheri,
Our coaches were painted with IMRON and it is no longer available. It was one of the best paints at the time so I wanted to be very careful to keep it.
The finish on our '82 was in very poor condition when we got it, it had been sitting outside for 7 years in Yuma, AZ. I used McGuire's Cleaner/Wax and just rubbed it by hand, again trying to be very careful not to loose paint and or rivets. It took a few times before it really started to shine but it does now. It would have been faster to use a Rubbing Compound with a Polisher but you could inadvertently remove paint or damage the Anodizing.
PS for the ALCOA Wheels I use Mother's Aluminum Polish and their Power Ball.
Good luck, it is worth it.

lbrachfe
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I use the dew or rain to wipe it down and then a synthetic wax if needed as carnuba breaks down quickly in the sun and heat. I found that once a year for the wax was enough and I wipe it down for a workout in early morning often and always after a long drive

Cheri Smith
08-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the help i appreciate it.

Cheri Smith
08-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Cheri,
Our coaches were painted with IMRON and it is no longer available. It was one of the best paints at the time so I wanted to be very careful to keep it.
The finish on our '82 was in very poor condition when we got it, it had been sitting outside for 7 years in Yuma, AZ. I used McGuire's Cleaner/Wax and just rubbed it by hand, again trying to be very careful not to loose paint and or rivets. It took a few times before it really started to shine but it does now. It would have been faster to use a Rubbing Compound with a Polisher but you could inadvertently remove paint or damage the Anodizing.
PS for the ALCOA Wheels I use Mother's Aluminum Polish and their Power Ball.
Good luck, it is worth it.

thank you for the help. yes I want to be very careful with the paint. where did you buy the mcguires cleaner/wax from? can I get it at my local walmart?