PDA

View Full Version : small amount of blue smoke

2StrokeDiesel
08-06-2012, 04:01 AM
Hey,

I have a hint of blue smoke on start up and until it gets warm. Engine is a detroit diesel, I have also noticed it some when it is under a load. What's the problem and what's the answer to the problem?

Thanks for any advice,

Bill

The Newell
08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Bill,

Have you idled the coach a lot without moving it? You can sometimes load up on unburnt fuel that takes a bit to burn out after that. If you have been running the newell regularly, then you probably need some engine work of some sort (rings? blower seals?, ??) Find a good two stroke DD shop and get it checked out. How's your overall oil consumption? I am sure others will chime in here with more help for you.

The Newell
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Bill,

I forgot to ask you for the details of your coach since that would help us troubleshoot and better answer your questions.

2StrokeDiesel
08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Thank you for the reply, To answer the question it has been doing a lot of sitting lately and just started up and ran as needed. We are preparing for a short trip which was why I have started taking the rv out around the block etc preping it for the longer trip.

Boondockers
08-06-2012, 03:46 PM
opinions vary but I have been told Blue smoke is not normal, a little white smoke is okay if it clears up within a minute.

Newell Attack
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
while a hint of blue smoke may not be normal, it certainly isn't unusual for a 2 cycle detroit. I'm guessing your newell has a 6V92 or maybe 8V92. Both are 2 cycle and will burn a little oil on start up after they have 50,000 or more miles. Now the going up hill stuff is a little different. I'm not a mechanic but I talked with a Detroit mechanic just now who said the book on the 2 cycles says do an inframe at 250K and a total overhaul at 500K. That was sooner than I thought! I got spoiled when I was driving someone else's Series 60. Can't afford one of those for myself, yet!

folivier
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Wow, if I have to do an inframe at 250K miles, let's see, my '93 has about 85K miles, if I put 7K miles a year, that gives me another 23 years....
The point being is if you take care of your engine properly and put an average amount of miles/year it should last a long time.

fulltiming
08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Blue smoke is typical of burning oil. Take it out and work it hard. See if that doesn't clear up the problem, however some blue smoke on start up is not unusual for a 2 stroke Detroit. If it doesn't clear up or gets worse, you would be looking at piston blow by (typically rings) or worn valve stems.

2StrokeDiesel
08-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Took it out and ran her, it cleared up nicely thanks for all the help.