PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Formica issues!

Fender Buff
02-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I am preparing to remove my Newell from mothballs and will be needing to repair some areas as well as regular maintenance from being in storage.

There appears to be a couple of areas where the Formica is raised or rolling at the seams. Particularly in the bathroom on the outside wall area, where it is rolling inward and causing a bulge just above a lower seam. Can someone tell me a just procedure for repair? Can I just pull the area back and spread some new glue or adhesive around and get it to lay back down?

The other area of concern is a bulge on another outside wall about 8 inches, not sure what would be best in addressing this?

Thanks for all your help and such a wonderful website!

Dave Dougan

fulltiming
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Dave, my only experience is with the laminate separating on some of the rounded cabinets. I watched the Newell tech lift the laminate up slightly, apply a pressure adhesive and use a wooden block to apply pressure.

Erika
03-10-2007, 03:11 AM
What Michael Day mentioned above is a pretty good way of accomplishing the task. I have made similar repairs on a couple of different Newell's in the past and it is not a difficult procedure. I would recommend doing the job while it is warm inside the work area so the laminate will be more flexible (less chance of cracking). When I have done the procedure, I take some masking tape and make a couple of balls to raise and hold the laminate away from the wall surface while applying the contact cement. Just follow the directions on the contact cement can. When the two contact cement halves are ready for contact, you can use a piece of wood like mentioned in the post above or some type of roller to work the area flat by starting at the point where the laminate is still attached. Don't forget to remove the balls of tape or whatever objects you were using.

Hope this is some help to you.