PDA

View Full Version : Rivets popping loose on body. Problem?

metajones
08-08-2012, 06:44 AM
We have a 1985 Newell that my grandfather originally purchased Newell and we have pulled it out of mothballs a couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to be intact, except some rivets have popped off in a couple of areas. Is this something do to age and is it serious?

Thank you for the help, Meta

fulltiming
08-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Unless you have a large number of rivets that have popped off, I would not be overly concerned. I have drilled out and replaced several rivets on my coach. I have only had one that seems to not want to stay in. Newell uses larger rivets than many coaches so make sure you match them. I would not like to have multiple rivets popped out that were contiguous to each other.

Neweller
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Meta, if you private message me with an address, I'll send you however many rivets and caps you need. It is normal to have old rivets pop off here and there, like Michael stated.

Ken

metajones
08-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Ken, thank you for extending such a generous offer. I can definitely pay you for those rivets. After some reading it seems they are kind of a pain to find.

rellick
06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Meta, if you private message me with an address, I'll send you however many rivets and caps you need. It is normal to have old rivets pop off here and there, like Michael stated.

Ken
Ken, where do you source these rivets? I would like to order a bunch! id like to have em in stock. Theres a few popped on both my Newells, are these ones you are getting close to factory finish?

Neweller
06-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Keith, I have used two types of these rivets. A lot of folks have been using the plugs that go in the end of the pop-rivets, which I have as well. But, I now prefer the shaved head rivets over them. They are a cleaner look and match the head closer to the original buck rivets. If want to buy boxes, I'll give you a wholesale line on them. The price is much lower.

prairieschooner
06-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Ken, please post a link!