PDA

View Full Version : Regional vs. Long Haul tire Classifications

Newell Attack
08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Age has caught up with my tires and I am weighing several options at this point and I am looking for guidance in one specific area:

Assume for the moment that I wanted to start by putting brand new sneakers on the front of my Newell. Surveying the major manufacturers, they seem to classify their tires into general categories.

LINE HAUL / LONG HAUL - Primarily for long distance trucking operations

REGIONAL SERVICE / DELIVERY - Seem to have beefier sidewalls to take more abuse.

I am curious as to which way you guys would lean. I am pondering this thinking ...

Regardless of which type I pick, most seem to have a rated top speed of 75 mph, which is just fine for my speed demon. I have been known to scuff a curb from time to time (with the rears), but these will probably end up on the rear axle some day. My Newell does see a good percentage of straight-shot interstate highway driving. It is not unusual for me to do a 400+ mile day of highway cruising.

My understanding is that after 75,000 miles of highway cruising, I could start to get cupping on a set of regional service type tires. But I don't know if I would care. I won't put more than 10K miles on in an average year, so the clock will run out before I see cupping. Age and sidewall cracking will hit me first, and if the regional service models have beefed up side walls, maybe that will delay the problem.

There may also be ride comfort considerations or fuel mileage factors for me to consider that I am not aware of. What else am I missing here? I was leaning toward the long haul models, but can see certain advantages to the regionals.

Recommendations?

The Newell
08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I just installed two TOYO M122 11R22.5 14 ply tires on the front of my Newell 6500 miles ago and am very happy with them. This tire is a steer tire for trucks.

They cost me a bit over $700 out the door which is a pretty good price compared to some of the prices I've seen.

The price was good because they are the top selling truck tire at this dealer so volume helped. Other tires I priced were a lot more.

Since the new rubber on the fronts I have logged 6200 miles and they were great. When I replace the other four I plan to get the same tire.