PDA

View Full Version : Jake Brake

Travelin Man
08-10-2012, 12:37 AM
I’d been told that the Jake brake switch could be left on all of the time. Does this make any difference? I have been leaving it on while over the road (of course turning it off in town) but I am wondering if it is affecting my fuel efficiency, anyways, input would be appreciated. Cheers…

lbrachfe
08-10-2012, 01:41 AM
I only leave it on in town or at exits. Leaving it on will decrease fuel milage, but some like it on all the time as they feel safer. I like to freewheel and use my weight for momentum on the highway

Travelin Man
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
OK thanks for the response... You really leave it on in town? I thought that you could get a ticket, at least thats what I was told by trucker friends... Thanks

Neweller
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Myself I like to use the exhaust brake my coach is really loaded down while driving down any grade, exiting off ramps, and heavy traffic. Never use in the rain or slippery situations. Some folks don't like the sudden down shifting from their tranny, and depending on what speed you are going or how your slowing down it can jerk a little harder and drop gears quicker than you like. You kind of have to play with it a little and see how you feel.

Ken