PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives Proper Use ?

David Carrol
08-17-2012, 02:10 AM
I was wondering what is the proper use of fuel additives for storage or cold weather situations and so forth. Our Newell has been sitting for approx. 2.5-3 years with the same fuel.

David Carrol

lbrachfe
08-17-2012, 02:37 AM
I like Lucas products, but don't know what to suggest for old fuel except to have it analyzed at a lab. It may be cheaper to fill it up with new fuel and add some Lucas fuel treatment and a new water seperator and fuel filter.Sorry I can't be more helpful. I drained mine when I got it and started with new everything to make sure I did no damage to other engine components

The Newell
08-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi David,

I'm not aware of many issues with old diesel fuel and I do agree with Larry grab some Lucas treatment and toss it in. If it sits for years in a fuel tank an ideal situation would be a full tank. If I could I would pull the drain plug and drain out a couple of gallons off the bottom and check for water. 3 years old and no water I'd run it. The filters should catch anything else. Cold weather fuel additives should not be specific to DD as the only concern I'm aware of is the fuel gelling in the tank, the lines or more often at the filter. Just go to the truck stop buy the product you like and follow the directions. It doesn't take a whole lot but we all put in a little extra!

Newellin Thunder
08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Sea Foam makes an additive for diesels that are supposed to be pretty good. A couple years ago a sales man gave me a few cans of several different of there products. decent stuff

folivier
08-17-2012, 04:14 PM
If you are near a marina you might find a place that can polish the fuel for you and clean the tank. That's pretty common for boats.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
08-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I have used Fuel Prep 1000 for years, both for marine and motorhomes in a hot climate. Very satisfied.

fulltiming
08-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Water and rust would be the biggest issue with old fuel. If the coach was stored with the fuel tank not full in a damp environment the water will collect and depending on how often it has happened you might get some rust. Draining fuel off the bottom of the tank from the drain petcocks will tell the story. If it doesn't have rust and little water, you should be good to go.