PDA

View Full Version : 8v92 oil leaking

DavidBall
08-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I have noticed quite abit of oil more then usually what could be causing this, could it be the seals and if so how much of a job to fix. I will say that I have been starting the eng. and pulling in and out of the shop to work on other things and some times I have left it idle for a while,The engine has just a little over 100,000 miles.

prairieschooner
08-18-2012, 01:45 AM
sorry but they have nicknamed them....Drip-troit

Neweller
08-18-2012, 02:13 AM
That's funny Steve.lol. Some aren't as bad as others, but they are know to be drippers. David, they drip out the the "slobber tube" (nickname) or "air box breather tube" (actual name). As one saying goes; if it stops dripping that's the time to worry. That's life with a 2-stroke 2-cycle engine. They are a tough monster other that. Just have to look forward to drips and dirty hands to work on them. Use a drip pan or can to catch it and save the spots from getting on the shop floor.

Extensive idling will create the most drip. During cooler weather and where it's humid, use the blog heater and that helps some too.

Ken

ccjohnson
08-18-2012, 03:22 AM
You might try keeping it in "fast idle" for extended idling. Ours isn't too bad on drips, but Fran has me keep a tarp under it in garage. Kind of like a "training pad" for puppies.

Neweller
08-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Clint that is too funny, a "training pad" for puppies. Gota love the Newell humor. lol!

Ken

folivier
08-18-2012, 05:31 AM
My engine was covered in sludge, mostly the drivers side. I had the engine steam cleaned and while having it serviced they found a pinched gasket on an inspection plate that was leaking when engine was running. That stopped the most of the drips. It's clean and nice for now. Also make sure you don't overfill your engine oil. When I bought mine it was full on the dipstick and proceeded to blow out a couple quarts until it found it's sweet spot. I re-marked my dipstick and it hardly uses any oil at that spot.

fulltiming
08-18-2012, 01:57 PM
With care and proper maintenance, there is no need for a 2 stroke Detroit to be dumping oil all over the place. Clean the engine off and locate the source of the leaks. If it is the slobber tubes, you can add canisters to collect the drips before they mark your pavement. Newell installed a slobber tank on many of the 2 stroke Detroits. Make sure you drain it at least once a year.