PDA

View Full Version : Newell Travels whats the worst road you've taken your Newell down?

The Newell
08-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Whats the worst road you've taken your Newell down? I thought it would be interesting to hear if anyone wants to share their stories or better yet pictures & stories.

Joseph

lbrachfe
08-17-2012, 09:00 PM
North on I-95 through NYC....OUCH !!!!

Neweller
08-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Joe, I can think of many. The worst road of encounter in a coach would probably been New Jersey. I don't remember the name of the road or expressway. I was basically lost in Newark with what seems to be a stupid exit numbering. Exit 1 A-Z or something crazy and took one of them ended up in extremely hard to maneuver area going down a street with about a foot clearance on each side, surprised I didn't take out a few dozen vehicle's. I had to pull up on the side walk on a busy street and had my son-in-law scout out another highway around the corner. He came back and said we could get on that highway no problem, just have to make a couple tight turns. So, we preceded to the onramp and after I had a dozen cars behind me and I'm rolling up to a toll booth, the attendant ask me what I'm doing and that I can't take this big rig onto the turnpike (cars only). He told me it was like a $500 fine if I get caught, but I had no choice but to go forward and take the first exit. That is what I did, and luckily I made it about 2 miles down the highway and got off the exit to land in another area of ridiculous streets. To make a long story short I did get out of there unscathed. Don't think I ever want to go back there again.:blushing:

express1
08-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Hwy 1 Ft.Bragg, CA going north at night in the fog with road construction....

tuga
08-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Interstate 10 between Lafayette and Lake Charles, Louisiana 2007 - 2008. The road was so rough I spoke to a guy in the Beaumont RV park who told me that his VCR fell out of the cabinet when he opened the cabinet door!

It is repaired now and is smooth on both sides, eastbound and westbound.

Cheri Smith
08-18-2012, 04:38 AM
going over an old narrow bridge crossing the missouri river a semi truck was coming and it scared the living poo out of me!

I swear he scraped us but after I was able to pull over and get out to check everything was fine.

it's crazy how some of those semi trucks own the road and just push on past!

bigcatwally
08-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Los Angeles, US-101 (Ventura Fwy) at I-405 interchange. Need I say more? ahahaha....

Hugo
08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
There have been a few times in our travels that Glo's closing her eyes and ssssh... don't tell her but there are times I have scared the poo out of me too Cheri! lol

Wally, No you don't need to express further we know...just what you mean!

The Old 666 highway formally know as US Route 491. From Cliffton, Arizona north to Alpine, Arizona. Equals 92 miles of twists, turns and from an elevation of around 1700ft to 9100ft in 70 miles in the Newell. Yes, don't forget about the deer, elk, cougars, etc. On 2 lanes, and no guard rails! So, why did it get it's nickname "Devil's Highway"? and then officially be renamed in 2003 as US Route 666? I wonder... haha.

afrench45
08-18-2012, 09:23 PM
There is never a "ruff" road while in the Newell! lol!
But ditto Tuga, I-10 is awful! I have lost a hubcap the past 2 years on that road from the steer axle... $50 a piece!!!!

stewart33
08-19-2012, 12:55 AM
IMO the worst highways is an easy one - Oklahoma wins it hands down! But it's followed closely by Colorado. I'd say ranking third is a tie between California and Minnesota. I haven't traveled to every state in our newell coach but out of what I have traveled these are the most memorable for worst!