PDA

View Full Version : Replacement captain seats

Cheri Smith
08-19-2012, 12:36 AM
The seats that came with my rig aren't all that comfortable, I'm considering replacing them. Has anyone here bought new replacement seats? Maybe have some knowledge or info to share? On cost? Can we install them? Thank you.

77newell
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Cheri, Ralph, on my 77 coach the captain's chairs were uncomfortable in a very soft sort of way. I had new foam made up for the bottom cushion and it made an amazing difference. The new foam was a mix of rather stiff foam topped with memory foam. Cost me about $120 for both cushions using the existing fabric.

Jon - 77 coach, Civic toad

Cheri Smith
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you Jon for the help. The seats need something and asap because my bottom and back do not feel good after a long run. I did a google search and found a company called Flexsteel who make marine and rv seating. Heres the link: Flexsteel Furniture: Helm Seating (http://www.flexsteel.com/vehicle-seating/products/marine-seating/helm-seating)

Anyone know if this is a good brand?

NewellCrazy
09-09-2012, 07:45 PM
In my opinion Flexsteel makes some of the best captains chairs on the market. We have had them in 2 coaches and to be honest that is always the first thing I do when I purchase a coach is change out the captains chairs with new flexsteels.

prestadude
09-10-2012, 02:09 AM
My 2000 came with a Recaro captains seat and a copilots seat by Villa. Villa provides a lot of seats and sofas to Newell. I wanted to replace the copilots seat since it did not have a shoulder belt. I found that I could not order the seats from either Villa or Flexsteel for liability reasons (they would only sell to an installer that would certify that the seat would be installed in such a manner that the extra floor stresses generated by the shoulder harness could be accommodated). Since Villa has a long standing relationship with Newell, I ordered it from them. I gave them my coach number and they looked up the original color of the copilot chair and gave a perfect match). Newell provided Villa with the necessary floor certification. Villa shipped the chair to Newell and I had them install it when I visited their facility.

bigcatwally
09-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Great post Cheri and Ralph. I've been thinking about upgrading my seats as well.

Thank you everyone for sharing.

I had no idea about these different seat manufactures and brands.

Tim and Laura do you mind if I ask how much it cost for the copilot char install? I wonder if I could have them sent to an RV dealer here that does installs? Or is it necessary that I go to Newell to have them installed?

prestadude
09-11-2012, 01:16 AM
We ordered the copilots seat through Newell but I suppose you could order it through some other installer. We ordered the Essex style with leather upholstery to match the rest of the coach. The chair has heat and massage, electric recline, electric footrest and integrated lap and shoulder belts. Newell charged us $3,216 which included installation. Mike Ramirez at Villa helped us with the order (562-404-8111).

Starvin Marvin
09-11-2012, 04:57 AM
If it meets Newell standards it meets mine.

speedingsport
09-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Flexsteel captain chairs are the only way to go in my book. The cushioning in the Flexsteel captains chairs are made of high resiliency foams. Which means it has body conforming comfort and it provides an even distribution of pressure for extended ride comfort. I highly recommend Flexsteel.

I uploaded a few photos of the different styles to give you an idea of what Flexsteel offers.

Go here to check them all out - www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3 (http://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3)

Cheri Smith
09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Wow those Flexsteel Captain chairs are beautiful! All of these captain chairs are a bit more than we'd like to spend. I wonder where I can find some of these chairs used? or at a discount? Anyone have any pointers? Thanks!