PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Front Air Bags Normal?

Newell Attack
08-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I finally have crawled under my newell while I am developing a list of things to do. question: My rear airbags look very good with no cracks. My front, however; are cracked. Is this normal, or do I need to plan on replacing them in the near future?

Neweller
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Jeff, cracks are always a concern for alarm. Whether its tires or airbags. Usually this is do from age, unless you are speaking of a cut from damage. Either way you need to check it out and make a determination whether to replace it or not. I've minor cracks starting and last for quite a while before blowing out. We tend to overlook bags before we overlook tires since they are not so visible. You bring up another reason to periodically take look under our coaches or have them inspected by a shop. From the air bags I've replaced over the years they are not all that expensive for the longevity they provide, safety and comfort.

Most are not that hard to replace but a lot of stuff on these coaches, especially if you have the necessary tools and some mechanical ability. And make sure you use all the safety precautions to block up the coach and prevent its movement. Even most truck repair shops should be able to handle the task. Of course if you have a jacked up back don't even think of it.

As Wally and Tuga say; its just my .02

Ken

The Newell
08-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, cracking is normal, and I agree with Ken its always a concern for alarm. Some of mine on my 76 were good. some were starting to crack and one was brand new. The cracked ones I would opt to replace. Ask yourself do you want to replace your airbags in the comfort of your shop or at your convenience etc. Or replace it on a rainy day on the side of the road? If you ask me I say replace them.