PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Rolls batteries are worth the money?

Barthman
03-13-2006, 11:23 PM
If you were to replace your house or engine batteries, would Rolls be a good consideration? I know a lot of folks still have a preference for lead acid batteries over the newer AGM (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/tags/agm.html) or Gel type.

Looking for some feedback from Rolls owners? Please.:confused:

James T
03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Myself I went with Interstate U2200 6 volt 232 AH for my house side at $134 each and they fit great in my battery tray and make up 1,160 ah.

James

Donnell Cameron
03-15-2006, 02:34 AM
I had set of Rolls 8ds that lasted 8 years, I did not replace them with Rolls because I am putting my Newell in storage for a couple of years while a take a job in Iraq, so there is no point in pissing money away on batteries that will be on the charger full time. Of course when I return and need replacement it will be Rolls again.

Tom

Doc
03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I've had Surrette batteries for most of the time I've owned Newells now going on thirty-two years. From what I understand, Rolls are an equivalent to Surrettes. The first set lasted two years because I ruined them. The next set lasted thirteen years. The second set were connected to Pulse-Tech. Now I'm on my third set and because of the price I went with West Marine L16s. Its only been about a year, so probably too early to tell. Still running the new batteries with the Pulse-Tech. I added a new MagnaSine inverter/charger. And, today's charge is showing 12.8 volts at full charge. I don't know how much better the Rolls/Surrette batteries are than the L16s, but I'll let you know in a few years.

Neweller
03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
That is an amazing difference to the amount of life one can get when they take of care of their batteries. I'm way too frugal to buy the Rolls or Surrette's. I'll stick to the Interstate 8D open juicers for now. When I come into some serious coin one of these days, I'll buy a newer Newell and make sure it has something like the Rolls and they will probably be the new AGM's.

Ken W.

The Newell
03-23-2006, 02:34 AM
Myself I went with Interstate U2200 6 volt 232 AH for my house side at $134 each and they fit great in my battery tray and make up 1,160 ah.

James

Yes, I too have the U2500 now, and think they are overrated and the Rolls are more conservatively rated.

TechTalk
03-24-2006, 04:41 PM
If you were to replace your house or engine batteries, would Rolls be a good consideration? I know a lot of folks still have a preference for lead acid batteries over the newer AGM (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/tags/agm.html) or Gel type.

Looking for some feedback from Rolls owners? Please.:confused:

Just for the record, all those brands are Lead-Acid batteries, just constructed differently.

farmell
05-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Rolls and Surrette batteries are reallyexpensive. When I considered them it worked out that even if I got ten or so years out of them, I'd still be out of pocket compared to two sets of Life-line AGM's. That didn't take into consideration the maintenance required for the wet cell batteries and the amount of out-gassing when equalising. Nor did it consider what would happen in an unlikely event of a wet cell battery spilling acid all over the compartment.

Just my thoughts

SharkRacing
11-18-2010, 11:05 PM
From my experience, I would stay completely away from Life-Line AGMs! More than any other battery, I've seen many one and two year old Life-Line batteries drop dead! Surrette and Rolls are both one in the same, Rolls is the USA brand, and Surrette is the Canadian brand. They are all made in the same plant in Nova Scotia, Canada

Most of the boys I hang with in the Off Shore crowd don't like em' either!