PDA

View Full Version : Bad starter solenoid help ?

David Carrol
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Trying to head out this coming week and found out that my starter solenoid is bad. I do have a few questions.

1. How much for a new one?
2. Will it be hard to find locally?
3. If I cannot find one, does anyone have a good used one for sale?

I don’t know if there were different manufactures and designs of starters for these Detroit's, so any education you can give me will be appreciated.

The Newell
08-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Delco used to make a rebuild kit for them. The rebuild kit does NOT replace the coil so check that BEFORE rebuilding. I used to buy both the rebuild kit and new solenoids from NAPA.

David Carrol
08-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks Joseph,

I ended up calling the local NAPA anyhow and this was the info given to me 165.00 rebuilt starter and 40.00 for the solenoid.

Is $165 a fair price for a rebuilt starter My solenoid was bad and the complete unit cost $40. I figure if I am buying a solenoid anyway, so for $125 more I get a rebuilt starter. What do you guys think?

SharkRacing
08-25-2012, 10:22 PM
David, that is not a bad deal at all. Do to the mass volume of DD engines, there are a great amount of parts sources out there at good prices.

GringoPhil
08-25-2012, 10:27 PM
My next door neighbor just bought a Starter for his ford tractor, it cost him $415, yep that's right. The tractor is 20 years old. You got a deal for a bus starter at that price.