PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Odometer on hyperdrive

PJarvis
08-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Hello. This is my first thread on this site and I'm happy to belong. I have a Yr. 1981 Newell motor home with 188,500 miles. Issue is this the Odometer is clicking off miles at a insane rate... went all the way around 3 times on a 100 mile ride home...anyone ever seen this? Or know of a fix?

Paul Jarvis

Richard and Rhonda
09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
If you google, you will find several folks who specialize in repairing VDO mechancial gauges. Send it to them, or replace with one of the new electronic ones.

The Newell
09-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Any electronic read out will have a sending unit to transfer vehicle information to whatever gauge or display that it is sending info to- usually a dashboard will include lights, speedometer, several gauges too read fuel level, engine monitor gauges etc.- if something is wrong with the power to the dash or there is a short circuit etc.- then the whole dash usually goes awol- if the problem is only with one section or display then look to that specific area- its the same with electrical (12 volt) if everything works on a coach but the starter on the generator is not working correctly then look there- same with a dash display - on all computer controlled vehicles there is a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and it sends the vehicle speed readout to the speedo to your dash- in many applications this sensor also calculates miles or kilometers per hour- if your speedometer reading seems accurate then it may also be the actual mileage display in the dashboard- To be honest I think it would easiest to order a new VDO or repair it as Richard mentioned.

Neweller
09-01-2012, 06:29 PM
When I first acquired a '78 Newell it had a similar problem and was racking miles up like a car would if you ran smaller tires and it would bounce a little. In the coach logs it showed where a prior owner had it checked out and repaired. Actual miles on the coach are probably lower than what I knew. I replaced it and it was fine.

Ken