PDA

View Full Version : Anyone towing heavy enclosed trailers ?

Viva Las Vegas JDR
09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm interested in hearing thoughts, opinions, and especially first hand experience with towing trailers in excess of 10k lbs. I have the need to tow a trailer that's anywhere from 10-15k lbs. depending on what it's loaded with. mountain driving is a part of some of my travels as well.

We are interested strictly on performance while towing. how is power, cruising speeds, pulling grades, etc.

I appreciate your responses,

Jimmy Dean Ross

The Newell
09-03-2012, 09:54 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience that doing mountains takes a LOT of horsepower.

I pulled my cargo trailer ( 8,800 lbs ) with my 1976 Newell with a good running 6V92

A 6% or greater grade will have you down to about 10 mph in First Gear. Not a pleasant situation.

If you plan on pulling something heavy, You absolutely need all the power that you can get. You also should have a good Jake Brake or Retarder.

Getting up the mountain is one thing that wears you out but that downhill part will absolutely scare the heck out of you :o

larryweikart
09-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Jimmy, I have been pulling our 26' trailer, 22,000 to 25000 lbs, loaded, for about 250,000 miles as part of our business. In the beginning, we overheated going up long inclines, which I blame on my own personal learning curve and a radiator that was a little small. We had the radiator rebuilt with more cooling capacity and have had very few yellow lights come on, even in this unusually hot summer. I have the series 60 which probably doesn't relate but the coach is longer and heavier than yours, so it may. We have a building in Pahrump and when we go over the "hump" to Pahrump, from Vegas, I get to the top at about 35mph with no over heating. The key is keeping the rpm's up and not trying to climb those long ones too fast. Hope this helps a little.

larryweikart
09-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Oh, by the way, as Joseph said, a good Jake brake or retarder is an absolute must as are good trailer brakes.

chockwald
09-04-2012, 02:12 PM
We have been pulling a 26' enclosed car hauler trailer for about 10,000 miles now behind our 1982 Newell Classic with a 6V92 TA. Larry has seen it. Trailer with car inside (plus bicycles, etc) is around 8,000 lbs. The coach (36') weighs in at 29,000 lbs and change. On grades of 6%, or more I end up in 2nd gear sometimes going around 25-30mph....often I can hold 3rd gear, but I really am focused on RPM's when climbing. I like to keep my RPM's at, or near 2000....helps the engine to run cooler. Pulled a 5% grade yesterday for 25 miles into Evanston, WY and was able to keep it mostly in 5th gear, which is rare. On the flats it runs fine in cruise control at 60mph. It's kind of like sailing.....you can't worry about getting anywhere fast, and, frankly, I like the slower speeds....I see more, and enjoy the drive more. We've been over some pretty high passes on our journey, and have only gotten hot once.....going through the American Alps in Northwest Washington when we got up to over 11,000 on a 7% grade....had to pull over and let her cool down for a few minutes. Since we steamed cleaned the radiator 6 weeks ago she never gets over 200....usually around 198 on the long, long climbs like yesterday. Normally, on the flats around 182-185 degrees.