PDA

View Full Version : Towing a BMW 5 Series 4 down behind our Newell Can I do it?

DavidBall
09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I am thinking about buying a 2008 BMW 535xi and Motorhome Magazine does not list BMWs at all in their annual towing guide.

Does anyone here know if I can tow such a car with all wheels down? I am pretty sure BMW will say no just because they don't want people to harm the image of their cars by towing them behind RVs, or for legal reasons. But I suspect that it can be done, perhaps with some kind of lubrication kit.

Comments?

MrE
09-04-2012, 06:02 PM
You can access the owners manual at Owner's Manual - BMW North America (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx), if it's an automatic...

Automatic and sport automatic transmission

Before towing, manually release the transmission lock, even if there is no malfunction in the transmission. Otherwise there is a risk that the transmission lock will automatically be engaged during towing.

Manually unlocking and locking transmission lock, refer to page 65.

Do not exceed a towing speed of 45 mph/70 km/h and a towing distance of 90 miles/150 km, otherwise the automatic transmission may be damaged.

Neweller
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reference Jon. Isn't that interesting Motorhome Magazine doesn't list this information in their annual towing guide. Crazy, if you ask me?

The option would be out if your limited to 45 mph and 90 mile distance. (This is pretty common for the general towing of most automatics)

I guess we will list the information here we find for our own members and fans.

I want to know this information myself as my wife's favorite car is the 745li and she will surely want to know the options for the future possibility of mating it with a Newell. I would have to believe the 3 or 5 Series with a standard transmission is probably the available option without going with a trailer.

Ken

The Newell
09-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a family member that drives a 2004 BMW and it doesn't have much of a frame under it, that would be my first concern, also where and how to mount the base plates.

I would think a manual would be the way to go over an automatic which are you looking to purchase?, With the manual transmission just put it in neutral to tow it, Some BMW's are that uni body construction that is more sheet metal than frame not sure that matters but thought I should mention it. I am not a car expert so maybe somebody with more knowledge with cars can chime in here.

Jospeh

Gimpy
09-04-2012, 07:44 PM
While I'm sure you probably can tow it keep in mind they are complex, performance cars and the parts are rare and costly plus if you've noticed BMW seems to change their designs all the time so the parts become even more rare. Personally I would buy a used golf tdi or something, decent handling with a bullet proof design.

Gimpy

Twins
09-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Here are a couple things to consider. If this vehicle can be towed,and this can be found out through the dealer service manager at any BMW Dealer and if towing brackets are available. The brackets are made primarily by Blue Ox, or Roadmaster. This may need to have a drive line dis-connect,if so this would be around $800.00.I personally like the idea of a small pickup, suv or vw.

Raymond N Priscilla Miller
09-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Twins is right. Call the dealer and see if you can get towing brackets. The BMW dealer should be able to tell you if the car you are looking at is towable.

SharkRacing
09-09-2012, 07:36 AM
I woudn't put a BMW on four behind even a Newell. Trailer the darn thing. I recently seen a 3 series convertable behind a Prevost but I think its foolish beating the thing. My humble opinion folks.

speedingsport
09-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Shark is on to something, don't beat her up if you don't have to. The SUVs are okay on all fours but a trailer might be the smarter way to go for a luxury car.