PDA

View Full Version : Is Your safe Safe

mnhoff
09-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Yesterday my lid on my safe was not closing very well. With inspection one pin had fallen out. So I had a better look on how to fix this problem. I felt by removing the safe would be the easiest. I could not find any bolts at the bottom of the safe, but noticed some screws on the bottom outside flange. I removed the eight- one inch screws in less than a minute and was amazed the safe lifted out??? Now the safe is secured with bolts on the inside to floor.

Neweller
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
1 minute? Like one saying I heard "It will only keep the honest, Honest". So obviously you fixed the pin issue and got it bolted in much more secure. I wonder what years they just put them in with only screws?

Ken

NEWELLWIZARD
09-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Wow! I'm with Ken on "It will only keep the honest, honest". Those screws are like a fence BUT If someone really wanted what's in the safe then they could have just taken the whole thing! Good thing you bolted it down. :thumbsup:

prestadude
09-10-2012, 01:53 AM
When I purchased my Newell (2000) in 2009, the key to the safe was missing (the round tubular type of key). The manufacturer no longer had information of replacement keys so I called in our local locksmith who had the safe open in a few minutes and cut replacement keys. While the safe offers some level of deterrence it can quickly be opened by someone with the right skills and tools.

bigcatwally
09-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Good thing you bolted your safe down, you wouldn't want someone walking away with it.

A lock on a small safe seems kind of pointless. I don't think it would deter a thief, but I don't care about that - I just want the fire-resistant and waterproof safe in my coach because one always needs a place to keep important documents that you may not want to carry around with you every time you leave your coach.