PDA

View Full Version : When exactly did Newell Coach go to the one piece windshield?

skipgailwalters
09-11-2012, 06:11 AM
The advantage to having a newer Newell is being able to enjoy the scenic views through a large panoramic one piece windshield. Views are somewhat more restricted with the two piece type windshield.

If one wanted to upgrade their two piece windshield to a one piece windshield is this even possible?, and has anyone here done it or had this done?

Thanks in advance!

speedingsport
09-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Newell coach went to the one piece windshield sometime in 2006. I don't know anything about upgrading from a two piece to a one piece. You can give the Newell Service Department a call at 1-888-363-9355.

tuga
09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Before you consider upgrading you might want to price a one piece windshield. I heard from an owner a few years ago that they were $1900 just for the glass! I will stand corrected if I am off base (my memory isn't good anymore) but that figure just stands out in my mind.

Also, I really don't think it would be interchangeable. But it might be!

JohnC
09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
An upgrade to a one piece windshield is not really feasible. The newer one piece windshield is glued into place, versus the older two piece 'floating' in rubber design. Newell made some significant structural modifications to the front of the coach to preclude stress cracking of such a large piece of glass.

JohnC

Neweller
09-12-2012, 02:02 AM
As JohnC has stated above, the cost of such a modification sounds unrealistic. I'm sure if the factory were to do it, they would have to have their engineer put a

stamp of approval on it. Myself having knowledge of motor vehicle and truck body structure design training and knowing you would be removing the center

support you would then need to add strength elsewhere meeting any rollover requirements set by FMVSS. The design would have to account for proper rigidity as to

prevent any possibility of glass breakage due to body flexing. I'm assuming the one piece windshields Newell Coach is using are encapsulated and must be bonded in

with at least an 870 pound force per square inch polyurethane glass adhesive sealant.

Just my nickels worth,

Ken

Gone Busing
09-12-2012, 03:08 AM
John, Ken or anyone who might know, how does the FMVSS come into play on bus conversions when the roof are raised? I don't think my bus had anykind of safety inspection done after the converter raised the roof. Would I be responsible when I sell it to the next guy? Are RV manufacturers liable in a rollover crash the same as a bus manufacturer?

express1
09-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Getting deep over 1 1/2" division bar in center!:o

skipgailwalters
09-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks all for the answers. I appreciate the response.

Neweller
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Newell went to the one-piece windshield on the P2000i series coaches, the front styling design they had done by Porsche.

As Tuga mentioned above the $1900 is pretty accurate. Honestly I don't think $1900 is that bad when you figure how big that thing is at about five feet high and about eight foot across. That is huge.

Ken