PDA

View Full Version : How to Refinish Corian in your Newell Motor Coach

Aussies
09-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Just an FYI, in case any of you have some scratched Corian,

After looking up on the web, I tried the SoftScrub and ScotchBrite method, to no result. So I dove in and started with 100 grit paper on an orbital palm sander, which was scary, but really removed layers of material. I basically used this to get about 90% through the depth of the scratches, doing the entire surface to keep things flat. After that I stepped up from 100, to 150, to 220, to 400, to 600, to 1000 and finally 1500. The last 4 grits I did wet and it left it smooth as glass. After that I used a buffer and polishing compound and finished up with a good waxing, which finally made it look as dark as I knew it should be (black with white specks).

about 10 pads or sheets of sand paper and nearly 6 hours of work and it looks like new again!

Neweller
09-11-2012, 06:47 PM
That is a great description of the process. It is very similar to cutting and rubbing out auto paint. You can do in about half the time depending on experience and how deep the scratches go. ScotchBrite alone works for general maintenance and to retain a mat finish. If you ever think about it in the future, take pictures so we have something to drool over.:drool:

Thank you for sharing!

Ken

speedingsport
09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Good tips. :thumbsup:

For cleaning my corian counter tops I use (Stone Care International Clean Encounters) counter top spray cleaner. It makes my corian counter tops smooth shiny and like new. I've tried a lot of other cleaners and polishes and they did an okay job. But this stone care product is the only one that gives me what I'm looking for. I highly recommend it.

speedingsport
09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I forgot to add that the cleaner has a pleasant citrus scent. I don't like the smell of say Windex glass cleaner. I knew a woman who would use Windex to clean everything and the smell of that stuff is awful!

Randy J
09-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Thought I would add. Caring for your Corian counter tops and knowing how. Will help you from not having to do. this resurfacing often. We had Corian in our house. Leeann loved it and was thrilled it was in the coach to. We learned before we got the coach.

Never cut directly on a Corian surface! Always use a cutting board.

Corian is heat resistant. But it is NOT safe to place hot pots and pans directly on the counter surface. Always use protective pads.

Avoid using harsh chemicals on or around Corian counter. If you spill any chemicals on the surface. Quickly flush with water and dry well.

pairodice
09-12-2012, 09:22 PM
You are very brave to start scrubbing on your Corian! Even though I know the experts say it can be done I don't think I would have been up to it... maybe in my next motorhome I will try. We DID cut on our Corian and although it scarred it a little it was not bad. I think my wife stopped because of the germs from chicken mixing with other foods...