View Full Version : Commercial Driverís License (CDL) required to drive a big rig?

Derek Knight
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
A acquaintance of mine was telling me that in some states you are required to have a CDL to drive a motorhome? Is this true? :unsure:

09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I hold a Class A CDL but not for driving a motor home and have never heard they are required to drive a motor coach. If people needed CDL's to drive motorhomes then the rv industry might be outta business lol Most could not pass the test.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
09-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I am a member of Escapees, Livingston Texas, so I have to have a Texas driver's license. Texas requires drivers the size of a Newell to obtain a "B" license. I drove my coach to El Paso to the DMV there. Took the written test for a commercial license, but took my driving test in the coach. Other states may differ, but the many full timers that are members of Escapees, need a Texas license if the use Escapees as their legal address, as I do.

The Newell
09-14-2012, 04:44 PM

A commercial drivers license is not required even though in my opinion I thinks its a good idea to at least have an air brakes endorsement. This way you understand how the air brake system works on your Newell Coach in case of an emergency or repair.

Derek Knight
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all your response.