PDA

View Full Version : 6V92 smoke cloud normal or not

2StrokeDiesel
09-15-2012, 01:27 PM
On start up, there is a normal amount of smoke However, when pulling away the first time in the morning, it pumps out enough smoke to hide a naval task force. This lasts for about 1/2 a mile, then goes away.

Any ideas?

The Newell
09-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I think that is just signs of an engine that is on the worn side. Eventually, it will have to be overhauled, in the meantime, try to warm it up more, or be lighter on the pedal so not to make so much smoke till it warms up. I tight engine shouldn't smoke much when cold.

Neweller
09-15-2012, 04:29 PM
When was the oil changed last and how old is the fuel? On the 6v92T I had something similar and it was a low mileage engine. It would mainly do it after it had been sitting for a while or when it was due for an oil change.

Does it smoke like this every time you start up and first go somewhere? What color smoke is it, white?

Ken

2StrokeDiesel
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
A medium grey. Once warmed up, the smoke is gone except when I'm pulling a hill or from a stop, when there is a little black in otherwise clear exhaust.

DavidBall
09-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Check your air box drains to make sure they are open. If they are plugged or pinched off, excess fuel and oil will pool up and then get blown into the engine when the revs come up. I agree, Definitely a sign of a tired engine.

prairieschooner
09-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Try using the Block Heater. We have about 125K miles on our 6V92 and there isn't much smoke on start up unless it is cold.
When I use the Jake Brake there is some black smoke if I am heavy on the throttle from a dead stop (I may use this to my advantage in traffic, seems that everyone thinks that it will stick to their car!)
Remember that our Detroits are 2 Strokes and do behave different than a 4 Stroke. Also remember that we need different Oil than they do! CF-2 40 W I use Chevron Delo 100

2StrokeDiesel
09-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks Steve I'll try using the block heater more often. Where do you purchase your oil?

prairieschooner
09-26-2012, 02:46 AM
West Marine. I have a Port Supply account so it is less than the public. Napa sell Rotella and it would be be my next choice (because the PO used Chevron Delo 100).
Just make sure that the Oil is CF-2!!! for our 2 Strokes otherwise the engine will suffer.

Gone Busing
09-26-2012, 05:43 AM
With folks having problems finding Rotella T straight 40 and Chevron Delo 100 straight 40 now for the past 8-10 years has been causing many 2-stroke owners to screw up by puting the wrong oil in and toasting their engines. How foolish you may feel when that happens and becomes a $20,000 mistake. Do like the man above has stated and buy only CF-2 straight 40!