PDA

View Full Version : Ultra low sulfur diesel and changing oil

Will Procter
09-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Because it is the sulfuric acid that is a by-product of sulfur in the fuel...will we be able to change the oil less often because of the lowered sulfur content?
Thanks in advance!

William

NewellCrazy
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
In a word-yes. But to get the definitive answer, you should be getting oil samples analyzed as to when you should really be changing your oil. If you don't want to get oil sampling done, just change your oil once a year atleast depending on how much you use your Newell. The new Detroit DD engines are so clean burning that on highway oil changes are recommended at 50,000 miles. With the Urea exhaust injection and pulling back on EGR programming, oil changes will most likely go to 60,000 miles. Now that's a huge way to save money.

The Newell
09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Will,

low sulphur fuel # 1 has always been the choice of DD for the 2 strokes, DD now recommends no more than 20,000 miles for a two stroke between oil changes.

The TBN is the most important # in a oil sample and that changes with fuel and the type oil.

I have had to up the ash content to 1.31 in the oil on some of the equipment I owned over the years to get the TBN number right because of the type fuel I was using.
Never had a oil related engine failure on a 2 stroke 53, 71,92 or 149 series by following Stewart and Stevenson advice over the years.

GringoPhil
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
where do you guys buy your oil sample kit?

Gringo

Neweller
09-17-2012, 09:29 PM
I always went off the recommendation of 10,000 miles or 6 months on 6v92 and 8v92. And always thought it was extreme but just did it. I'm going to change things up

on the next Newell besides it will be a 60s. I can say though that everything I have owned has came back great on oil sampling. Too many guys have screwed motors up

either running the wrong oil or not staying on top of the maintenance.

Ken

Will Procter
09-18-2012, 12:42 AM
I figured I should state the reason I asked the question and it was not because I am cheap, (Even though I am in some ways!) but I am just curious about the subject. I wasn't asking just to prolong the oil changes, just curious about the effect the ULSD has on the engine if any.

Will

The Newell
09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
where do you guys buy your oil sample kit?

Gringo

You can also source the testing kit from NAPA. I just did one before I sold my 76 Newell. I sent it to a lab in Atlanta or Gastonia, NC. About $ 15. but that is a 3 week old remembrance.

folivier
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Blackstone labs & various other companies sell testing kits and services. I would stay with the same company you start with if only to have consistency to compare the readings from year to year.