PDA

View Full Version : question for those boondocksers

Laguna Newell
09-23-2012, 05:25 AM
any boondockers out there can tell me approx how long would 100 gallons of fresh water last 2 persons with minimal use (other than shower and Toilet)??

Laguna Newell

chockwald
09-23-2012, 12:57 PM
When we are dry camping, or boondocking we use 10-15 gallons of water a day, which includes shower, toilet, dish washing, etc., so with a 100 gallon capacity I would say 7-10 days. Not sure what the usage would be other than shower and toilet, though. We, obviously, take much shorter showers when dry camping, and conserve when washing dishes.

prairieschooner
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I echo what Clarke stated. We can go almost 2 weeks without doing the laundry.
We do however like to use bottled spring water for our drinking.

lbrachfe
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
25 gallons a day with no laundry and quick showers

The Newell
09-23-2012, 06:14 PM
The biggest water user is dish washing. If you can learn how to wash dishes with minimum water, and are serious about watching your water use , the sailors calculation of A gallon, A Man ,A Day, works just fine. Navy style , wet down , wash with water OFF and then rinse the soap off.

The usual RV toilet is very efficient, so is not a big water user. TO do dishes with min water takes having a small bowl of hot soapy water , to scrub the dishes and a Quart pitcher to use to pour water over the cleaned but still soapy dishes ,, sort of like a Navy shower for your pots and pans.

NEWELLWIZARD
09-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Paper plates are good when boondocking. It makes for more trash but when boondocking it helps save on water.

speedingsport
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Tips for when you dry camp-

Don't leave your faucets running! You'll only need about a half-cup of water to brush your teeth and not much more to shave. If you use an electric shaver you won't need any water. Just make sure it's charged up and you should be good for a few days.

Laguna Newell
09-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Great tips thank you owners!

prairieschooner
09-26-2012, 02:41 AM
Great tips thank you owners!

We will be at Doheney 1st of the week, do you want to stop by?

1993Newell
10-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Conserving resources is a good habit and boondocking helps one learn what they can get by with. Boondocking or not I make it a habit to not let the water run when washing hands, dishes, or brushing my teeth.

folivier
10-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Stay tuned, I have an idea to conserve water when showering. Our coach has the raritan electric/engine assist water heater so I have to run the generator to heat water for a shower.