PDA

View Full Version : Mexico during winter who can answer my Q's

Twins
09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Planning of going to Mexico for the Winter after I get all the bugs worked out of our newell coach, would like to know what Brand of Oil I can expect to find that is also
easy to find in the States. Any other Info of running a Diesel down south would be highly appreciated , since this is my first Trip. Thank you in Advance.

Twins

prairieschooner
09-25-2012, 02:13 AM
I would bring the motor oil that you are currently using. I would also suggest that you bring a few sets of fuel filters with you. The fuel in Mexico isn't as clean as what we have had here in the states. Having said that every time we are close to Mexico I like to fill up, the fuel is much less and what our older 2 Strokes like. Here are the current prices, $3.12/Gallon as we speak!
Mx_fuel_prices (http://www.mexicomike.com/database/runner/public/mx_fuel_prices_list.php)

prairieschooner
09-25-2012, 02:15 AM
I thought that I would also suggest that you bring $10.00 and $20.00 Bills with you Hundies are not as easily accepted.

The Newell
09-25-2012, 02:39 AM
I think I'd take enough of my favorite oil along from home. There's no telling what kind of pricing you might find even if you did find the right oil.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
09-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Twins, I live in Mexico and have been taking my motorhomes into Mexico for years. As to oil, I use synthetic and cannot find it where I live, and if you are using Delo 100 (which is designed for Detroit 2 cycle), you need to bring it with you. Otherwise, you will find standard diesel oil in Mexico. As to fuel, I have never had a problem over 20 years, and yes, it is cheaper, but purchase it at large truck stops. However, you will pay more in tolls than you will for fuel.

NewellCrazy
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
depending on where you chose to fuel down south , some folks prefer to use a "Baha Filter", just a funnel with VERY fine screening , that will catch dirt and even water.

Steve is right take extra filters for the DD , and know how to install them.

Newellin Thunder
09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
You would be wise to take enough oil with you from home. Oil is relatively expensive in Mexico.

NewellCrazy
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I would also advise getting enough pesos to pay for fuel before reaching the station. Fuel is reasonable but I have heard of problems with station exchange rates

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
09-26-2012, 12:26 AM
As posted above, I live in Mexico. You should not plan on using US$. The tolls will only take pesos, and anytime you use US$, they will clobber you with the exchange rate. What is best is to us a US debit card at Mexican bank ATMs. Be careful which bank card you use since some US banks charge a foreign exchange fee up to 3%. My Schwab debit card has treated me very well over the years. Another point, for many reasons, do not travel at night, and this has nothing to do with safety.

Twins
09-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Appreciate your answers. Another question if I may: Has anyone actually gone to Mexico with your pets? What procedures and problems? We travel with a small dog.

Neweller
09-26-2012, 02:05 AM
What's the problem at night Chester? Road conditions?

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
09-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Cattle, tire parts, a lack of shoulder, poor lighting, and if you have trouble and do not speak Spanish.

prairieschooner
09-26-2012, 02:34 PM
We have taken our dogs into Mexico. You need to get a Health Certificate from a Vet here in the States. You may not get asked but better to be prepared.