PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Solar Would Be Enough?

86loco
09-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I would like to go solar because of expenses although i know initial setup is costly. I'm going to going to be running 2 roof airs plus the other normal junk (Ref, TV, computer etc.). Not sure what to do. will solar be enough? I've seen charts informing how many panels needed etc., but whats really practical? Pulling my hair on this one. Any help would be app. Thanks.

Newell N Jag
09-03-2012, 11:12 AM
There is no way to put enough solar panels on a motor coach to run two air conditioners. So, if that's your question, then, no, solar will not be enough. From my understanding, solar panels are for charging the batteries and not for running appliances directly. They wont run roof air unless they are the size of sat dishes :laugh: Gen set is a must have. That being said, solar panels can certainly charge some batteries.

Gone Busing
09-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Well when we started researching for our conversion, I wanted to keep it green. Actually we ended up with two 100 watt solar panels. Two 8d batteries for the coach and we have three 8d's for the house.

Recently added an echo charger to keep the coach batteries topped up. This system was definitely more pricey than genset, but we sure like it. Solar will and is getting cheaper as with the LED stuff, just not quick enough.

But we still have a gen on hand for emergencies or for high use times. Depending on your inverter, you could run some high ticket items with qen set backing up the batteries etc. Hope this helps...

Neweller
09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
There is some more information at this link on the site. Go Here (http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/alternative-energy/2609-solar-coach.html)