PDA

View Full Version : Prevost vs Newell

Frenchy
09-27-2012, 12:18 AM
hello all, I was considering buying a '91 Prevost Lemirage XL, but what are the main differences between that and equivalent year Newell ? I wonder which is easier to maintain Prevost or Newell if I do my own maintenance ? I liked the Prevosts because I was familiar with it but was instructed to view a newell before pulling the trigger on a vost since there considered to be in the same league is that correct? How does steering and ride of a newell compare to a prevost? I am searching for as much comparisons as possible to help us make our decision on the right bus. Thanks! Leo

Neweller
09-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Frenchy welcome to the Newell talk forum and we are so glad to have you with us whether you buy a Newell or a Prevost. Both products are great and I believe you

are on the right path to luxury coach ownership. Regarding a Prevost, my first concern would be who did the conversion and how well the job was done? There are

many great conversions out there but many have a lot of miles, if they were previously a road or tour bus. Not that a conversion that started with a couple hundred

thousand or more miles would not go the distance, knowing still helps make for fairer comparison. If you read on this site, you will find many people doing the same

kind of research of comparing luxury coach brands as you. A Newell was designed from the ground up to be exactly what it was intended for, to be a motorhome. It is

built to bus and RV standards and the only reason Newell is not classified as a bus, is because the company did not license themselves that way. Both makes will drive

comparable, I have spoken with many owners of both and have driven both of varies years and think you will be satisfied with either in terms of driving. I have heard

that on a long trip the later model Prevost demand less driver fatigue but that opinion has changed with recent changes from Newell Coach in the last three years.

Something I might add is Newell's have greater ceiling height than most and are built wider in the upper proportions of the body allowing for more space versus a

Prevost. Now compare the features and style you seek coupled with the drive-train and pricing demands and just cut the check.

prairieschooner
09-27-2012, 03:03 AM
I dig the looks of a Prevost (Prevostcar), but I own a Newell.

Neweller
09-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Steve lets puts some stainless on the bottom and getter going!:thumbup:

The Newell
09-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Frechy Welcome and what a great question,

A major difference to me anyway is the fact that Prevosts are more narrow at the roof than floor and thus you loose a considerable amount of space which is not so much the case with a Newell Coach. However, Both companies make an outstanding product and which ever you choose I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase. Maybe Jack14R will jump in since he owns a Prevost.

afrench45
09-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Hi Leo,
Back 8 years ago I owned a 1989 Prevost. It had been built for the Rolling Stones and was one of their private coaches. In 2000 the coach was obtained by Hercules Coach (a small convertor) and was completely gutted and redone. While the coach was awesome looking, I constantly had problems with it. I took more trips to Prevost in Dallas Tx than I did anyplace else. If you decide with a Prevost, I would go with a major convertor (Liberty, Marathon, Featherlite, Millennium, and a few others). I think those coaches would be more reliable as they have had many years of experience.

jack14r
09-28-2012, 12:34 PM
It is obvious that both products will do the job,like Andrew said there are only a few reliable converters and in 1991 only Liberty and Marathon are the 2 converters that are still in business today.The entrtainer coaches are POS in my opinion and are not meant for MH use.The most important item will be the drive train,that could destroy the check book after the sale if it is not in great condition.I would not purchase without a Detroit Diesel and Allison service center inspection.